Smurf at Last!    Smurfs 2 Movie Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

» Smurf Forum » Smurfs: The Lost Village REVIEWS
Author Topic: Smurfs: The Lost Village REVIEWS
Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-26-2017 06:14 AM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
 -
The Smurfs Lost Village Reviews

Come here to share your smurfy thoughts on the new Smurfs Movie - SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE!

*** For those who haven't seen it yet,
watch out for SPOILERS!

--------------------
I love everything about Smurfs: The Lost Village Movie!!!

Tatiana
Smurf
Member # 6114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-26-2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Tatiana       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
The movie had in my opinion, everything that they should've done in the first place! Demi Lovato brought in that girly flare with girl power in our sweet Smurfette!

Gargamel had been rather using manipulative ways towards Smurfette, possibly in an attempt to gain her back and to make everyone think she's a traitor (Somehow I believe he became jealous of Smurfette over time)

Also they put in lots of cute songs! (including Blue La Dee Da of the 90's) there is one that seems to fit oh so well when they brought home Smurfette's clay form.

Every one of the Smurfs of Smurfy Grove are so adorable and so smart! I had no idea they would even include them doing such advanced math!

SmurfMelody's role is much more than a celebrity role! She actually appears when the girls first make their appearance, and she doesn't sing at the end of the movie.

All in all, I believe this movie will actually be everything Smurf fans asked for!!

--------------------
Always Be True To Your Smurfy Self!

Advertising Smurf
Smurfling
Member # 1385

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted on the 12th of Smurf 12:25 PM      Profile for Advertising Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Buy a Smurf DVD!

Royal Smurf
Smurf
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-26-2017 02:53 PM      Profile for Royal Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
A review I found for Smurfs: The Lost Village on Variety.com. Enjoy.

Source:
http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/smurfs-the-lost-village-review-1202016213/

Film Review: ‘Smurfs: The Lost Village’
By: Owen Gleiberman

MARCH 26, 2017 | 12:00PM PT

-

It takes a village of Smurfs to add up to one personality, but in their third film the blue mascots of cute wisely shed live action.

If you go with your family to see “Smurfs: The Lost Village” (and let’s be honest: most of today’s animated features are more than suitable for adults only, but anyone who would go to thismovie without children is seriously starved for entertainment), you’ll get to experience the trailer for “The Emoji Movie,” an upcoming feature from the same studio, Sony Pictures Animation. The trailer is hosted by an emoji named Meh, voiced in the morose observational tones of comedian Steven Wright; in just 30 seconds, he makes not being overly enthusiastic about anything seem the apex of hilarity. I won’t prejudge the film, but it’s a stupendous trailer.

Then we get to the Smurfs movie, which has a hundred characters who are Smurfs, and not one of them is as funny, or wry, or distinctive as Meh. You might describe the Smurfs as blueberry Hobbits crossed with knockoffs of the Seven Dwarfs — or, more precisely, of Dopey, since they mirror his innocent leer of a grin, open-car-door ears, and hat that’s like a folded-over blob of Poppin’ Fresh dough. (I do realize that the Smurfs were created in Belgium in 1958, and that their headwear was meant to evoke the Phrygian cap, which signifies freedom. But they still look like Dopey.) As with the Dwarfs, the Smurfs have names that describe just what they are: in this case, Jokey, Nerdy, Grouchy, Brainy, Clumsy, Nosy, Hefty, Winner, Loser, Painter, Scuba, Paranoid, Therapist (“Sometimes,” says a patient, “I just feel blue!”), and Table-Eater. Unlike the Seven Dwarfs, the Smurfs, even with their Defining Traits, seem to have more or less interchangeable personalities. They’re one-note elfin mascots of cute who are all, in essence, variations on the same product.

Last November, when “Trolls” came out, a number of critics described it as being sort of like a Smurfs movie. Well, it kind of was — but if so, it was the “Citizen Kane” of Smurf movies, a kaleidoscopic disco fantasia with marvelously individualized troll-doll characters. (I’ve seen it three times and could easily watch it again.) “Smurfs: The Lost Village,” by contrast, is a sweetly benign fantasy for three-to-seven-year-olds, and though one should show no hesitation in calling it innocuous, because it is, I do realize that’s all part of the design. It’s not a rousing animated comedy that parents will cherish along with their kids. It’s more like a colorful and diverting pacifier.

Yet it has one major advantage over its two big-screen predecessors, “The Smurfs” (2011) and “The Smurfs 2” (2013). (There was also a Smurfs cartoon, “The Smurfs and the Magic Flute,” back in 1983.) Both those movies placed animated Smurfs in a live-action universe, and both had the painfully shrill, bonk-you-over-the-head tone that can turn actors as gifted as Neil Patrick Harris and Hank Azaria into blaring annoyances. “The Lost Village” ditches all that. It’s a pure digital fantasy, with elegant and tactile animation, so it’s more true to the Smurf spirit, and should perform solidly.

In the Smurf village, that land of colorful mushroom huts, every character is male except for Smurfette (voiced by Demi Lovato), who has a rounder face than that of the boy Smurfs, and who looks like she stole Nancy Sinatra’s hair. So much for her personality. Smurfette, as fans of the Smurfs franchise know, was created by the evil wizard Gargamel out of a lump of coal, which is one reason that she doesn’t feel quite at home. Gargamel is voiced, by Rainn Wilson, in one of those fluttery aristocratic accents descended from effete Hollywood villains of the ’40s, and he’s animated in a way that sticks true to the original Peyo cartoon: With his lone tooth, bald fringe, and dark robe, he looks like a Trappist monk drawn by Hanna-Barbera.

Gargamel plans to round up all the Smurfs, so that he can pour them into a boiling-cauldron potion that will render him all-powerful. And there you have the plot. The valiant Smurfette frees a trio of Smurfs — Clumsy, Brainy, and Hefty — from Gargamel’s clutches, and once they escape the movie turns into an elongated if rather rudderless chase that takes our heroes (and heroine) through the Forbidden Forest, through white-water rapids (the most visually enticing sequence), and into a garden of fire-breathing dragonflies and flowers that will eat you.

As it turns out, the Smurf village isn’t the Lost Village. That would be Smurfy Grove, an all-girl Smurf enclave presided over by Smurfwillow, voiced by Julia Roberts with an incongruous maternal snap. (She has the kind of personal punch the rest of the movie barely hints at.) There is also a tear-jerking twist that really works, though it’s a bit manipulative to see in a movie aimed at kids this young. Imagine that Bambi’s mother had died, and then come back to life as the star of her own franchise. “Smurfs: The Lost Village” is pleasant enough, but there’s not much at stake, because no one stops grinning for long.

[Smile] [Frown] [Confused] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Cool] [Eek!] [Gargamel] [Azrael] [Smurfette] [Smurfette] [Smurfette] [Smurfette] [Vanity Smurf] [King Smurf] [Sleeping Smurf] [Enamored Smurf] [Wild Smurf] [Happy Smurf] [Scuba Smurf]

Royal Smurf
Smurf
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-06-2017 07:44 PM      Profile for Royal Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
So, I just got back from watching Smurfs: The Lost Village in 3-D. Let me just say... SMURFIEST MOVIE EVER!!! I loved it so smurfing much! Third time definitely was the charm after all!

First, I'd smurf that this particular movie was better than the other two movies. But those other two movies had absolutely nothing to do with this movie. Those other two were live action/CGI animation. This one was fully animated.

Second, I am now more a blue believer than I was before! I love Smurfs a lot more now!

Third, my favorite part of the film was when we got to see Smurfy Grove. All those new smurfettes especially. They now make the smurf population gender equal with both girls (smurfettes) and boy smurfs. Fourth, speaking of the new smurfettes, my favorite was Smurfblossom ("blossom"). She is always so hyper and excited like me.

Fifth, at the beginning of the movie when the Columbia studios lady fell down revealing Smurfette, I saw that Smurfette picked up a mushroom and pretended to be the Columbia lady. I thought that was kinda cute and cool.

Sixth, the song Heroes (we could be) by Alesso and Tove Lo (which actually played when I was just leaving the Galleria) played while Smurfette was trying to sneak out of the village to go on her journey into the enchanted and forbidden forest. That was one of my other favorite scenes of the movie. Also, I love the song I'm a Lady by Meghan Trainor (aka Smurfmelody or Melody), but too bad Melody didn't actually sing it at the end. But still, it was smurfy all the way through from the beginning to the end. Speaking of Smurfmelody, I also noticed that she did have a flower in her hat. From the looks of it, I'd smurf it was a daisy or some other white flower.

Seventh, at the end credits what I also noticed (besides Gargamel, Azrael, and Monty talking about the end credits) was some of the additional voices. Some names that I recognized included: Eric Bauza (Puss in Boots, Belly Bag, etc.), Bob Bergen (Porky Pig), Tara Strong (Princess Twilight Sparkle, Timmy Turner, etc.), and Kari Whalgren (Amanda). So, that smurfed interesting to me.

Eighth, there definitely needs to be a sequel. I mean, there was still one unanswered question, "Where did the girls come from, and how long have they been living in Smurfy Grove?" Now that's what I'd like to know. But, maybe then again they might answer that question in the comics, or it could be in a sequel if we do get one. Who knows.

And lastly, there really needs to be a new Smurfs show, but instead of it just being focused on the boys (and Smurfette), how about it being focused on the girls (smurfettes) for a change. It could be about the adventures that the girls and boys have (along with Smurfette) while trying to escape from the evil wizard Gargamel, along with Azrael, Monty, and maybe even the new creatures we saw in the movie, like the Glow-Bunnies for example.

And that's my review. Enjoy! [Smile] [Frown] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] [Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [yum!] [Gargamel] [Azrael] [Smurfette] [Smurfette] [Smurfette] [Smurfette] [Vanity Smurf] [King Smurf] [Enamored Smurf] [Clown Smurf] [Wild Smurf] [Happy Smurf] [Scuba Smurf] [Smurfette] [Smurfette] [Smurfette] [Smurfette]

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-07-2017 04:56 AM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Smurftastic review!!! Thanks for sharing your smurfy thoughts!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

swarlock
Smurf
Member # 746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-10-2017 09:32 PM      Profile for swarlock       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Neat review Royal.

My review will come in a few days.

I definitely hope there is a new series down the smurf. Hopefully it will be in 2D like the last couple of Holiday specials as it lends itself to the characters better.

I will say though the ending was hilarious and broke the fourth wall.

--------------------
Every day in every way I am smurfy!

Posts: 402 | From: Kissimmee, Florida | Registered: Jan 2005
swarlock
Smurf
Member # 746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-11-2017 06:05 AM      Profile for swarlock       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Here is my review.

THE SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE REVIEW
By Swarlock

To say I was a bit worried about the direction that Sony was taking with The Smurfs for a third movie struck a nerve with me. I know they were aiming for a new generation to get into the characters for the first two films but in my opinion it was executed all wrong. Updating the designs to make them look realistic wasn't pleasing to me at all.

And if I say so, The Blue Minions seemed rather naive as they did in the first one. After all they did invent things that wouldn't be made for a few hundred years and could've adapted themselves into the world they came to in the same way they did for Season Nine in the Hanna Barbera Universe. Think of The Squire lacky from Disney's Enchanted.

That being said it was a very smart move to get them back to their roots. I knew right away that the flick was going to reveal the new smurfettes since it has been requested by fans for a very long long time.

Smurfette's dilemma trying to find her purpose in life could be just about anyone's. And the way she handled it with the help of her friends Brainy, Clumsy and Hefty made it all the more important because they wanted to help her find her identity.

The scenery was lush and beautiful and The Smurfs looked like their comic book incarnations down their mannerisms.

I especially appreciated some of The Easter Eggs (Nods to Past Callbacks to Peyo's other Smurf Adventures) which included Farmer's Scarecrow which wears King Smurf's garb and The Blue Fly in a jar seen in Brainy's mushroom house.

If there is one complaint in any of this is that they didn't feature the other smurfs long enough. And there should've been a searching party moment with Papa and the other Smurfs trying to look for the other adventurers.

Overall this picture hit everything in the right spots. I can definitely see a new TV series out of this adapting other smurf lore that has recently been published by Papercutz. Hopefully it will similar to The 2D Holiday Specials DVDs that came out recently.

FIVE STARS FOR THIS SMURFTASTIC MOVIE.

--------------------
Every day in every way I am smurfy!

Posts: 402 | From: Kissimmee, Florida | Registered: Jan 2005
perky smurf
Smurfling
Member # 6261

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 04-12-2017 03:09 AM      Profile for perky smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I dont think i can agree more this movie was as close of a cinematic version of the smurfs that we will ever get. ;)Crossing my fingers for a sequel or even a new tv show [King Smurf]

--------------------
Have the smurfiest day you can!

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-19-2017 08:12 AM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Smurfs: The Lost Village goes in a delightful new direction

The Globe and Mail
By Andrew Parker
Review: 3 / 4 Stars

An unexpected delight, Smurfs: The Lost Village abandons the ceaseless mugging and pop-culture references of Sony’s live-action adaptations of Belgian cartoonist Peyo’s beloved blue creatures in favour of a relaxed animated romp.

It’s a well-made kiddie flick centering on the discovery of an uncharted land of Smurfs, and Smurfette (voiced by Demi Lovato) existentially searching for identity amid the predominantly male Smurfs. The voice cast brings genuine warmth to their roles, especially Joe Manganiello’s kind and sweet Hefty Smurf. There are plenty of ambitious set pieces boasting visual ingenuity, and the witty, perceptive script includes well-constructed subtext and lessons about breaking free from patriarchal norms and the benefits of learning about different cultures.

It’s all in good fun, but it also wants to engage with children beyond hollow gags and pop songs, which are there, but kept to a tasteful minimum. I’ll also admit to laughing as a grown adult with no kids of my own. Let’s hope this direction for the franchise continues.

--------------------

VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-20-2017 06:57 AM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
It's visually informative, as are the live-action/CGI Smurfs movies, as far as how I would want them to be depicted in an adaptation of my EMPATH: The Luckiest Smurf novel. I would still want the Smurfs to be shown close to how they were depicted in the live-action/CGI films to give the viewer the same sense of realism that would creep out even Empath in all his programmed view of the Smurfs from years of living among the Psyches, but I would still want their village and their enemies to be as faithful to their cartoon depictions as possible, as The Lost Village succeeds in doing with the two main antagonists. I think there can be a happy medium between the two depictions that would work well with my characters.

--------------------
VIC GEORGE -- Westfield, MA, USA
"Cat and mouse games really aren't much fun for us mouse types" -- Empath from "Empath The Bandit Smurf"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Current topic is 1 pages total: 1 Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2017 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.