Smurf at Last!                         Smurfs 2 Movie Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

» Smurf Forum » One year since I rediscovered the Smurfs :)
Author Topic: One year since I rediscovered the Smurfs :)
Richrod Smurf
Smurf
Member # 5003

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 08-09-2014 11:13 AM      Profile for Richrod Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
It's hard to believe, but it has now been one year since I rediscovered those fine little blue fellows (and fellowettes) known as the Smurfs.

It was in late July 2013, the week that Sony Pictures released "The Smurfs 2" in theaters, that I was at a McDonald's near John Wayne Airport in Irvine, California. I saw all the "Smurfs 2" Happy Meal promotions, a large window poster of Smurfette standing next to a stack of three apples, and the now-defunct McDonalds Channel was airing a clip from "Despicable Me" where the Minions were dancing to "Boogie Fever" by The Sylvers, now considered the unofficial Minions song. I had the silly idea of having Smurfette disco dancing to "Boogie Fever" in response, so I pulled out my legal pad and did some quick sketches of Smurfette posing like John Travolta from "Saturday Night Fever" and doing some cute kiddie-style dancing poses.

To get more references on how to draw Smurfette for the first time in over 15 years, I did a quick Google search for Smurf images, and received more Smurf cartoons and drawing than I've seen in almost 20 years. I started getting some story ideas, began drawing the rest of the Smurfs, worked hard on capturing the look and feel of the Hanna-Barbera TV series, discovered BlueBuddies... and the rest is history.

One year later, I have a small but loyal and growing fan following on DeviantArt, got a lot of thumbs-up and support when I dared to recolor Vexy's hair brown, was encouraged by many Smurf fans to apply to graduate school when I was seriously considering it... and now this January I am scheduled to fly to Honolulu to begin a master's program in Communication at Hawaii Pacific University. And hopefully continue to draw my Smurf fan art from the islands!

I have also made a lot of friends who share my renewed interest in those fine blue fellows (and fellowettes). When I went through a lot of low points in the past year, they have been there to pick me up and see me through. As strange as it may sound, as a Christian I believe that the Lord allowed me to rediscover the Smurfs so that I could finally move forward with the next phase of my life and career, which I never thought in a million smurfs would involve graduate school, fan fiction, or pursuing a career in graphic arts.

And it all began at a Mickey D's that jets fly over on approach to the airport, and with BlueBuddies. And for that I am most smurfily grateful.

Thanks a million smurfs! You guys are the smurfiest!
[Smile] [Smurfette] [Wink] [Vanity Smurf] [Sassette Smurfling] [Techno Smurf] [Happy Smurf]

--------------------
Vexy is my favorite Smurf. I hope Smurfette isn't jealous. :)
My website: www.newportmuse.com
On DeviantArt: newportmuse.deviantart.com

Posts: 336 | From: Honolulu, Hawaii | Registered: Sep 2013
Linkin Smurf
Smurf
Member # 4917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 08-10-2014 09:18 AM      Profile for Linkin Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hmmm, Almost co-incidently, this is one year since I also re-discovered the Smurfs too. It was in July, when the 2nd Smurfs movie was set to be in theatres, and I wanted to see it, out of curiosity, and Despite some of the boring features of it, I loved it. [Smile] As I saw the 2nd Smurfs movie, I totally fell in love with the Smurfs and this is when I joined Bluebuddies, and later, Deviantart and Fanfiction!
. I even started re-watching old Smurfs cartoons and admiring other people's fan-art as well as doing roleplays and making some of my own art [Smile]

This is my story [Smile]

--------------------
My Smurf Nickname: Wacky Smurf

My Deviantart: http://thatonesmurfx103-9.deviantart.com/

My Fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~thatonesmurfx1039

Posts: 392 | From: Smurf Village in Toronto | Registered: Jul 2013
Advertising Smurf
Smurfling
Member # 1385

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted on the 12th of Smurf 12:25 PM      Profile for Advertising Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Buy a Smurf DVD!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Current topic is 1 pages total: 1 Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2019 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.