Smurf at Last!    Smurfs 2 Movie Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

» Smurf Forum » The Smurfs and the Magic Flute rare DVD version review
Author Topic: The Smurfs and the Magic Flute rare DVD version review
Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 12-15-2012 10:23 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I don't know i already did this topic before but if i did i'll just do it again then.
Here is my rare version of The Smurfs and the Magic Flute by Televista back in 2008.
 -
The box art looked very similar to the VHS version by Vestron Video but without faded colors.
 -
At the back looks very basic not much intellectual writings going on...
 -
All the technical stuff listed here but that "Digitally Remastered" was a bit misleading.
 -
 -
Here's the quick review summary:
Story:10/10
Let's just say everything is taken straight from the book and no spoiler
here just read the book and you'll see this is the story that makes the smurfs,smurfs!
Audio/Video:6.5/10
Labeled as Digitally Remastered can be a bit much because the whole thing packed with artifacts and i can even see the movie skips a little bit too but it still looked a lot cleaner than VHS,sharper and more colorful
But for me i really don't care much if they make it look too good
then it's no longer a smurfs movie from 1970s,picture artifacts really
make it a historic film kind of feel...hard to describe...
For the audio the music by Michel Legrand,just too good to talk about and voice cast well you got the famous cam clarke as peewit but that's about it others were pretty much unknown non-union voice actors/actresses but they still give an ok performance but what i hate is that they synthesized the smurfs voice except papa makes them very hard to understand and the high pitched didn't help either better be off without it but still miles better than the horrible UK dub that people on amazon seemed to complained about on the 2012 version.

Box Design: 7/10
As simple as most people want a DVD box not to look messy with all the
intellectual stuff going on the back that's good but I think they can do better than that with the screenshots.

Features:7/10
What do you expect? this is rare so when you get a slideshow that's pretty commendable,Dolby Stereo pretty basic but it's good enough
Considering how lazy WB can be with the smurfs series with Mono track
that's nasty.
Oh and that DVD label so...smurf!

Value:8/10
$24.99 that's pretty good value considering it got that 70s picture quality and feel to it and newer version make it look like a movie from early 2000,talking about smurfs season 9 lol.

Overall it's a great DVD for me but if you want something that's sharper
cleaner and newer well this is not the version to get but it's not like you can find one though.

Share your thoughts below.

--------------------
I'm Brainy Smurf's alter ego one that didn't wearing glasses...for now...
"Eyesight 200/20 but I always see what's on my mind"

Posts: 694 | From: Bangkok,Thailand | Registered: May 2009
MissCassidy
Super Smurf
Member # 3409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-20-2013 09:45 PM      Profile for MissCassidy   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I'll be frank, I liked the UK dub because they kept the music in, like the original songs from the Belgium release, and the lyrics are in English. I might be an odd one, but I really like the song "Gentle Lady" during the feast, it has the true feel of a medieval french chanson. Also there are jokes in the UK dub which are lost in the US version.

On that note, calling Johan, John did get annoying, and where they got William from Pirlouit is beyond me. I DO like the voice actors in the US dub far better. I do not like the synthesized voices of the Smurfs. However, since this movie was made way before the production of the Smurfs by Hanna Barbara was done in the 80's, I can't complain about the voices. Peyo had his direct influence and voice in the production of this film, as well as Yvan Deleporte so to me.. this film above all the others remains Canon to the Smurfs.

Each film has its pros and cons, I'm just glad to have seen them both to compare. [Smile]

--------------------
Rise Avalon!

Advertising Smurf
Smurfling
Member # 1385

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted on the 12th of Smurf 12:25 PM      Profile for Advertising Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Buy a Smurf DVD!

VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-21-2013 12:37 PM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
"Personality" in the UK version sucks compared to "Just Like Their Names" in the US version. It lacks the hypocritical humor of Grouchy's line in the song, "I don't act like my name". In fact, apart from "Gentle Lady", I like all the songs in the US version better.

--------------------
VIC GEORGE -- Westfield, MA, USA
"Cat and mouse games really aren't much fun for us mouse types" -- Empath from "Empath The Bandit Smurf"

MissCassidy
Super Smurf
Member # 3409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-22-2013 08:17 PM      Profile for MissCassidy   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
That is true, the UK version does not have the same jokes as the US dub. I think the UK is closer to the original french in it's intent. Whereas the songs in the US dub and some of the jokes were Amercanised.

--------------------
Rise Avalon!

SmurfsinBlue
Smurf
Member # 4694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-16-2015 03:28 PM      Profile for SmurfsinBlue       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I heard there are supposed to be two variations of the U.S. dub. Both versions have Papa Smurf voiced by a different actor and in one of the versions, Johan is called John. The version I have has Papa Smurf's voice sounding like a parrot and Johan being called John.
Linkin Smurf
Smurf
Member # 4917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 09-10-2017 05:40 PM      Profile for Linkin Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hey guys, I know this isn't probably the right topic to put it in but I'm wondering if anyone still has a copy of the Televista DVD of the Smurfs Magic Flute movie and is willing to sell it? I cannot find that version on any of the online shopping sites I normally go onto.

--------------------
My Smurf Nickname: Wacky Smurf

My Deviantart: http://thatonesmurfx103-9.deviantart.com/

My Fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~thatonesmurfx1039

Posts: 391 | From: Smurf Village in Toronto | Registered: Jul 2013
Linkin Smurf
Smurf
Member # 4917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 09-10-2017 05:46 PM      Profile for Linkin Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Or if anyone with a copy is willing to PM me and rip the DVD with DVD Decrypter... that'd be great too.

--------------------

Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 09-13-2017 02:31 PM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
At the moment I found a version, but its quality is not so good: https://archive.org/details/ZippCast-863aaa7f70c097b63e1 [Frown]

--------------------
Keep on always smurfin'!!

Posts: 3918 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Jul 2008
Linkin Smurf
Smurf
Member # 4917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 09-14-2017 02:26 AM      Profile for Linkin Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Squeaky Smurf:
At the moment I found a version, but its quality is not so good: https://archive.org/details/ZippCast-863aaa7f70c097b63e1 [Frown]

Yeah, that was a mirror of a bad quality rip that was somewhat floating around.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Current topic is 1 pages total: 1 Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2017 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.