Smurf at Last!   Smurfs 2 Movie                     Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

Page:  1  2    Previous Page  Next Page 
» Off-Topic Forum » Facts about your home town (Page 1)
Author Topic: Facts about your home town
Jokie Smurf
Jokie Smurf22 / Chloette / Elton John Smurf / My dog Padfoot
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 09:32 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Just curious.

Here are some facts about Louisiana:

In the Louisiana purchase U.S. wanted just New Orleans because it has access to the Mississippi river opening.

Hurricane Katrina. If you haven't heard of it, it was the worst a hurricane could get. It didn't do much damage to our house (thank goodness it just knocked one door down) I was alive then (of coarse) but I just thought about it as a vacation because I went temporarily to my grandfather's friend's house that is more up north somewhere. We had access to a jet ski and a lot more. My little sister was like 3 and I was about 5.

The war of 1812 (or the Battle of New Orleans. Andrew Jackson was in this one. (remember the interview I made)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

--------------------
When people say giving is better than receiving they are talking about me. Giving someone one of my exploding presents is WAY better than receiving one. ;)

Posts: 2871 | From: New Orleans, Louisiana, USA | Registered: Nov 2011
Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 09:38 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Well, there are a lot of facts I can tell you about New Zealand, here are just a few!

_New Zealand is the youngest country in the world.

_A kiwi is not a fruit (unless your talking about kiwifruit) – it is New Zealand’s native flightless bird and a slang term for a New Zealander. Kiwis call the fruit “kiwifruit” – they are also known as Chinese Gooseberries.

_Queen Elizabeth II is officially Queen of New Zealand. She is represented in New Zealand by a Governor General, who ratifies all laws put before him or her by the elected parliament of New Zealand.

_New Zealand is a plastic nation – almost all personal financial transactions are made with a card – credit or otherwise. Most shops offer EFTPOS (similar to the UK Chip and Pin which appeared two years later) and cash is seen less and less. It is possible that New Zealand was the first nation to offer this system of payment (if someone can verify that I would appreciate it). The majority of taxis now allow you to pay without cash through this system.

Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 09:50 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
That's really cool! [Smile]

Here are some facts I've looked up from the internet:

Louisiana has become a popular tourist destination. New Orleans is the major draw, known particularly for its picturesque French Quarter and the annual Mardi Gras celebration, held since 1838. Other major points of interest include the Superdome in New Orleans, historic plantation homes near Natchitoches and New Iberia, Cajun country in the Mississippi Delta Region, Chalmette National Historic Park, and the state capital at Baton Rouge.

Selected famous natives and residents:

Louis Armstrong musician;

Geoffrey Beene fashion designer;

Truman Capote writer;

Kitty Carlisle singer and actress;

Van Cliburn concert pianist;

Michael De Bakey heart surgeon;

Fats Domino musician;

Donna Douglas actress;

Louis Moreau Gottschalk pianist and composer;

Bryant Gumbel TV newscaster;

Lillian Hellman playwright;

Al Hirt trumpeter;

Mahalia Jackson gospel singer;

Jean Laffite privateer;

Dorothy Lamour actress;

John A. Lejeune Marine Corps general;

Elmore Leonard author;

Jerry Lee Lewis singer;

Huey P. Long politician;

Wynton Marsalis musician;

Jelly Roll Morton jazz musician and composer;

Huey Newton black activist;

Marguerite Piazza soprano;

Paul Prudhomme chef;

Howard K. Smith TV commentator;

Ben Turpin comedian;

Ray Walston actor;

Edward Douglas White jurist.

State symbols:
flower magnolia (1900)
tree bald cypress (1963)
bird eastern brown pelican (1958)
songs “Give Me Louisiana” and “You Are My Sunshine”

Nickname: Pelican State

Origin of name: In honor of Louis XIV of France

10 largest cities (2010): New Orleans, 343,829; Baton Rouge, 229,493; Shreveport, 199,311; Metairie, 138,481; Lafayette, 120,632; Lake Charles, 71,993; Kenner, 66,702; Bossier City, 61,315; Monroe, 48,815; Alexandria, 47,723.

--------------------
When people say giving is better than receiving they are talking about me. Giving someone one of my exploding presents is WAY better than receiving one. ;)

Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 09:56 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Cool! It's really fun to learn about your hometown Jokey
Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 10:00 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Here is a part of a play I was in with us playing Louisiana musicians. (Fine, The Beatles and Michael Jackson aren't from Louisiana) Well, anyway I'm one of the beatles. I have blonde hair and a purple guitar. (sorry you can't hear Mahalia Jackson's voice)

--------------------

Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 10:06 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Oh, I've seen that! Cool
Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 10:08 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I posted it before along with a bunch of others in the forum A Play Everyday.

--------------------

Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 10:10 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Yea, I knew I'd seen it on this site
Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 10:21 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Good memory! [Wink]

--------------------

Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-04-2012 10:47 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Yea, people say that--

P.S I'm back. Hi hi!
[Smurfette]

Animator Smurf
Sam Gamgee Smurf
Member # 3898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 10:04 AM      Profile for Animator Smurf  Animator Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hi Smurfette!

Some facts about Compton Valence:

It has the largest population of pheasants in the county

It's the most famousist of places fer Snowdrops in the county

It's existed fer hundreds o years (Includin our house)

And it has the most farms in the county

--------------------
Metsu-Hadoken!

Posts: 1258 | From: Minas Tirith, Gondor | Registered: Sep 2011
Animator Smurf
Sam Gamgee Smurf
Member # 3898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 10:05 AM      Profile for Animator Smurf  Animator Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
It also holds the biggest Lord of the Rings and Smurfs fan in the county... guess who? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Metsu-Hadoken!

Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 10:10 AM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Let me guess, Hmm I don't live there so you can't mean me. Maybe Smurfette, no she's in New Zealand. I'm stumped. (Kidding, it's Animator Smurf)

--------------------

Animator Smurf
Sam Gamgee Smurf
Member # 3898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 10:12 AM      Profile for Animator Smurf  Animator Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hehe

--------------------
Metsu-Hadoken!

Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 10:17 AM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Also, I don't think Smurfette is a lord of the rings fan.

--------------------

Animator Smurf
Sam Gamgee Smurf
Member # 3898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 10:24 AM      Profile for Animator Smurf  Animator Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
She could be, she does love Lord of the Rings and she's from New Zealand (Director Peter Jackson is from there and the films are filmed there)

--------------------
Metsu-Hadoken!

Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Now that you say that, she could be.

--------------------

Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 11:07 AM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I AM!!!!!! OMG. I have read all the books (I started at a very young age) and I have seen every single film, and I have been to Peter Jackson Studios and met him. Jealous? (lol)
Animator Smurf
Sam Gamgee Smurf
Member # 3898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2012 11:42 AM      Profile for Animator Smurf  Animator Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jokey you're officialy proved wrong!

--------------------
Metsu-Hadoken!

Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-17-2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hahaha! LOL!!! Also, I love Jerry Lee Lewis!
Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-17-2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
[Roll Eyes] (for animator)

--------------------

Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-17-2012 05:18 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hahahaha! You's are funny!

Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-17-2012 05:20 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------

Sportette
Bakette
Member # 4102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-17-2012 05:30 PM      Profile for Sportette  Sportette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Let's see

The peace bridge is in my hometown

We are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yay

My house is 107 years old

The trees on my street are about 600 years old

Niagra falls(it didn't really fall I think)

1901 president mikinly(can't spell it) shot at the pan American exposition

I don't know anything else

--------------------
Seether karma and effect

Sportette
Bakette
Member # 4102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-17-2012 05:35 PM      Profile for Sportette  Sportette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chloette

Hurricane Katrina. If you haven't heard of it, it was the worst a hurricane could get. It didn't do much damage to our house (thank goodness it just knocked one door down) I was alive then (of coarse) but I just thought about it as a vacation because I went temporarily to my grandfather's friend's house that is more up north somewhere. We had access to a jet ski and a lot more. My little sister was like 3 and I was about 5.
[/QB]

There's a song about hurricane katrina its called help is on the way by rise against and it's good not alot of damage was received at your house [Big Grin]

--------------------
Seether karma and effect

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Page:  1  2   Previous Page  Next Page  Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2019 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.