Smurf at Last!   Smurfs 2 Movie                     Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

Page:  1  2    Previous Page  Next Page 
» Smurf Forum » Magic flute - different dubs and availability (Page 1)
Author Topic: Magic flute - different dubs and availability
Gators
Smurfling
Member # 5067

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 08:14 PM      Profile for Gators       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Growing up, my parents taped the smurfs and the magic flute off of TV. My brother was remembering this show, and wanted to buy a copy. So far, he's bought several copies with a really crappy dubbing that is completely different. Upon doing research, I've learned about the different British dubbing and US dubbing for this program, and that it seems the British dubbing is the one that has lived on in digital releases.

So, I figured, no biggie, I just need to find a vintage US VHS tape of this, and it should have the right dubbing. Right? Wrong!

It seems there is a variant of the US dubbing that was released on VHS, where any line referencing Johan has been redubbed to call him Jon, which is quite annoying, and papa smurf's voice is completely wrong. Really annoying.

The only way I've found to make a watchable version of this has been to take a dvd rip, strip the audio, slow down the framerate, sync up the audio from my US VHS and tv taped VHS, and use as much of the US VHS as possible, but replace Jon lines with the Johan lines. Which is a tedious task, and also will result in a finished product in which the audio is degraded anytime Johan is mentioned.

Also, another difference I would like to point out, since while the difference in British and US dubbings is well documented, but this difference in US dubbings isn't, I've found that the TV taping has placed an edited version of the smurfs celebrating earlier in the film. I suppose it was an edit made to allow the smurfs to be featured earlier in the film.

Was this a TV only edit? The US VHS tape version has the smurf celebration in it's correct place. Why different US dubbings? Why would they actually go back and one by one replace individual lines just to change a character's name, it seems rather ridiculous to go to that trouble, was Johan so bad? Or....what came first, Johan replaced to Jon, or was Jon replaced to Johan? What played in theaters?

And most important of all....

Is there a source out there somewhere of the US dub with the correct name of Johan? Perhaps a VHS release that I can identify and purchase off of ebay? Or a DVD version or digital version that might "float around" somewhere? There's got to be a better way than what I'm doing.

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 09:01 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Here is the US version of The Smurfs and The Magic Flute on VHS.

The Smurfs and the Magic Flute
(VHS - NTSC Version)

Click to buy.

[Happy Smurf]

--------------------
I love everything about Smurfs: The Lost Village Movie!!!

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 09:02 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
You can also get it here on eBay:

The Smurfs and the Magic Flute (VHS)

--------------------

Gators
Smurfling
Member # 5067

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 09:33 PM      Profile for Gators       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Thanks, but the VHS I bought off ofhas that same cover. As explained above, it is the US dub....but with all Johan's dubbed to Jon, and with a different voiced papa smurf. There appears to be 2 different variations of the US dub, which was the main point of my post, I'm looking for the variation with Johan. Are you saying that you can confirm there exists VHS tapes with that cover, that are dubbed with the Johan variation of the US dub? Because, I can guarantee you that VHS tapes with that cover exist that are a US dub with Johan's replaced with Jon.
Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 09:55 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Sorry Gators, but I don't know the details of the dubs as well as you do. I can provide you with some alternate covers and maybe this could help?

Have you seen this alternate VHS Tape cover - it is the "Anim8" version.

The Smurfs and the Magic Flute on VHS
(Alternate Cover)

Click to see more details / to buy it.

--------------------

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 10:03 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I'm guessing you are already familiar with the Kaleidoscope version which is the common PAL version of the VHS Tape.

-
(VHS - PAL Version)

--------------------

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 10:11 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
And here's yet another PAL version...

-
(VHS - Alternate PAL Version)

CAST:
Ed Devereaux
Bill Owen
Harry Dickman
Richard Pescud
Vernon Morris
Stuart Lock

--------------------

Gators
Smurfling
Member # 5067

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 10:20 PM      Profile for Gators       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I've only bought the one, so I'm not familiar with the other covers, or the contents of their tapes. I was hoping someone here would be more familiar with the releases and dubs, and could shed some light on why there were different US dubs, and what tapes contain what, or an easy way to track down the Johan US dub without having to buy several tapes and hope to stumble on one.
Masked Smurf
Smurf
Member # 5040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-03-2013 11:54 PM      Profile for Masked Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
she's [Smile] [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Wild Smurf] [Happy Smurf] one the first for I watch,very nice and funny

--------------------
Every day is one Surprise!

Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-04-2013 12:04 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
You tried too hard man just stick with the "Jon" version at least you know his real name so why bother with all the trouble?
The reason with all the different dubs is simple there are so many video releasing companies that handled the material some hired a free union voice cast,some stick to the original audio which god knows whose team did back in 82-83' it just clearly depending on each company's bussiness plan back then some just tried to top the original material
and some just playing it safe with original material or the more recent one is just plain lazy doing nothing new.

It just very difficult to find it out especially it's a smurf movie released more than 30 years ago with mostly obscured video companies released both VHS,DVD versions.
I got a DVD version by Televista back in 2009 and I'm pretty much the last person to get that version on Amazon.
It got Jon and frail old man papa smurf voice and everything but I just stopped there because it wasn't that bad and Cam Clarke did the voice of Peewit is more than enough. (US dub)
I can't help you on this but I just say that it's like trying to riding elephant to catch grasshopper if you continue to find that "Johan" version.
I have ripped the DVD version too if you're intrested...
Sometimes feeling "Enough" is actually a good thing as I always say...

--------------------
I'm Brainy Smurf's alter ego one that didn't wearing glasses...for now...
"Eyesight 200/20 but I always see what's on my mind"

Posts: 694 | From: Bangkok,Thailand | Registered: May 2009
Smurfy1For2
Smurf
Member # 1224

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-04-2013 12:55 PM      Profile for Smurfy1For2       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Very interesting info Oakley Smurf!!! Thanks for sharing!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
u wished u rocked as i

Gators
Smurfling
Member # 5067

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 11-05-2013 11:22 AM      Profile for Gators       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Interesting. What I find rather odd is that any online information I've found on this has said the UK dub calls him Jon and the US dub calls him Johan, without mentioning the alternate US dub....and yet it seems that the US dub with him being called Jon is far more common, with the Johan dub being something of a rarity.

Anyways, I've gone ahead and made my own repaired dvd version that is true to the Johan version, and TV broadcast. I've edited all references to Johan back in and the correct papa smurf voice. I've also edited the smurf party scene to take place earlier. There were some scenes that were shortened in the TV broadcast which I've left intact using the dvd video and VHS audio, luckily none of the scenes shortened for TV broadcast made mention of Jon/Johan. So, I suppose this will do until a source of the Johan dub shows up somewhere, if anyone runs across a copy, please update this thread with info so we can know that it exists and what to look for.

SmurfsinBlue
Smurf
Member # 4694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-16-2015 01:43 PM      Profile for SmurfsinBlue       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Wait... I'm confused... How many variations of the British and American dubs are there?
Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted 04-16-2015 02:42 PM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Here's an example, SmurfsinBlue:

[Happy Smurf]

--------------------
Keep on always smurfin'!!

Posts: 4900 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Jul 2008
teenyette13
Smurf
Member # 5525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-16-2015 08:57 PM      Profile for teenyette13       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Im sorry i couldnt help but point this out, is the smurf on the first cover naked?! How weird, i mean, go check it out, must be a coloring error. Its pretty **** funny though, i gotta admit!

--------------------
lalalalalala
i am very fun,
lalalalalala
but if im angry run!

Nikki-Smurfling
Smurf
Member # 5441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-17-2015 02:36 AM      Profile for Nikki-Smurfling  Nikki-Smurfling's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
It's a color error, Teeny. As you can see on the first image, his toes aren't showing.

--------------------
Life is short. Live it while you can, and live each day like your last.

SmurfsinBlue
Smurf
Member # 4694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-20-2015 10:29 AM      Profile for SmurfsinBlue       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Can someone also send me a video link to how the Smurfs party sequence was presented in the rare TV edit of the American dub? According to the Smurfs wiki, I heard that it also included narration.
SmurfsinBlue
Smurf
Member # 4694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-20-2015 10:32 AM      Profile for SmurfsinBlue       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Thanks, Squeaky Smurf! It's also pretty interesting that in your country, the film had two different Brazilian dubs: the first for a VHS release in the 1990s done by Mundo Magico and the second done for the 2011 DVD. Sadly, the songs in both versions are left in English...
Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted 04-25-2015 10:57 AM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
You're welcome, SmurfsinBlue. And that's right: the DVD has really other Brazilian dubbing, and the songs are in English - from UK version, by the way. I came to this conclusion after watching the video above. The curious thing is that when Peewit (his name is Willie in the DVD, I don't know why it was kept) begins to murder sing a song after Johan (John) won the tourney: it was the only one done in Brazilian version. The others were kept in English but with subtitles. [Happy Smurf]

--------------------

teenyette13
Smurf
Member # 5525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-25-2015 11:36 AM      Profile for teenyette13       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
interesting squeaky, but i haz 1 question: why is the word murder there, and why is it crossed out?

--------------------
lalalalalala
i am very fun,
lalalalalala
but if im angry run!

Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-26-2015 11:03 AM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
In fact that's just a gag. You know that Peewit is such an awful singer. [Big Grin]

--------------------

teenyette13
Smurf
Member # 5525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-26-2015 02:32 PM      Profile for teenyette13       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
oh yeah, how did i not see it before? but i do wonder why his name is peewit but its pronounsed peewee. curious...

--------------------
lalalalalala
i am very fun,
lalalalalala
but if im angry run!

SmurfsinBlue
Smurf
Member # 4694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-28-2015 11:45 AM      Profile for SmurfsinBlue       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I also heard there's supposed to be two Italian dubs. At least one of them (presumably the second version) can be found on these two links:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEGReikwbMg

http://www.filmpertutti.co/il-flauto-a-sei-puffi/

If someone could be so kind as to find the full version of the 1st Italian dubbing (as well as the songs from the alternative dubbing for the original Italian soundtrack as I heard), please send me a free download link (via Mediafire) or upload it to YouTube!

SmurfsinBlue
Smurf
Member # 4694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-16-2015 03:21 PM      Profile for SmurfsinBlue       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I made a mistake: apparently the Italian dubbing I found is actually the 1st, not the 2nd. The 2nd Italian dubbing done by Gruppo Trenta uses the Italian voice cast from the TV series.
Linkin Smurf
Smurf
Member # 4917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-16-2016 03:34 PM      Profile for Linkin Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
So, apparently there are 2 US dubs, one from Vestron Video on VHS and a different dub from televista on DVD.... is there only one UK dub?

and does anyone know where I can find the Televista DVD? I can easily find the Vestron Video one. and I see there's a Special Edition videotape from Vestron too in 1983, what contents does that one contain?

and does anyone know anything about the shortened VHS version from Children's Video Library and if I can find it?

--------------------
My Smurf Nickname: Wacky Smurf

My Deviantart: http://thatonesmurfx103-9.deviantart.com/

My Fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~thatonesmurfx1039

Posts: 392 | From: Smurf Village in Toronto | Registered: Jul 2013
Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Page:  1  2   Previous Page  Next Page  Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2019 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.