Smurf at Last!                         Smurfs 2 Movie Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

Page:  1  2    Previous Page  Next Page 
» Smurf Forum » Jump The Shark (Page 1)
Author Topic: Jump The Shark
smurf it
Smurf
Member # 4445

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 05:32 AM      Profile for smurf it       Edit/Delete Post 
The Smurfs jump the shark a lot faster then any other tv show. I do believe it happen in season 5 were they de-age the original adult Smurfs characters into Smurflings.
Smurfy1For2
Smurf
Member # 1224

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 05:36 AM      Profile for Smurfy1For2       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they only really Jumped the Smurf in their time traveling season.. but I do like the early episodes the most!!

--------------------
u wished u rocked as i

VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 07:28 AM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a difference of opinion as to when the cartoon show "jumped the shark". My thinking is that the decline started with Season 5 and Season 9 is when the producers just ran out of ideas. Season 8 should have been the termination point for the series in general. For some people, the "jumping the shark" point is when the viewer passed through puberty, when stuff like Transformers was more interesting than Smurfs. Of course, I was already in my teens when I started watching the show and collecting the comics.

Originally the Empath story series would have taken place after Season 4, with Nat still being an adult Smurf and Empath not having this phobia of just wearing a hat and pants. It's only after the later seasons appeared that I decided to cast the Empath story series in a variation of the cartoon show universe by rewriting Baby Smurf's the Smurflings' origins and having Grandpa, Wild, and Nanny appear after Empath's final return from Psychelia. The story of the Magic Flute still takes place in his universe, though.

--------------------
VIC GEORGE -- Westfield, MA, USA
"Cat and mouse games really aren't much fun for us mouse types" -- Empath from "Empath The Bandit Smurf"

Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 10:05 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I hate this "jumping the shark" thing sounds nasty.
But to me the series never felt like they ran out of ideas maybe I'm too smurftimistic.
I mean really as long as they keep the original look and style intact It never really going anywhere they always here in my heart.
It just unfortunate that the series died just in time for the whole Saturday Morning Cartoon
decline in popularity.
The Smurfs definitely not died along with the series look what happened last year if you know
what I mean...
Unlike the comics though 50+years in and the magic passed onto the new generation and I just
hope that they will not ruining it.

--------------------
I'm Brainy Smurf's alter ego one that didn't wearing glasses...for now...
"Eyesight 200/20 but I always see what's on my mind"

Posts: 694 | From: Bangkok,Thailand | Registered: May 2009
VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 10:39 AM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't apologize for feeling that Season 9's premise was an act of desperation. In my experience with cartoon shows, goal-oriented plots never reach their intended goal, and it's been that way mostly for prime-time shows as well with only a few exceptions. The Smurfs deserved better than to be flushed down the toilet with something as lame as a never-ending time-traveling trip.

--------------------
"Cat and mouse games really aren't much fun for us mouse types" -- Empath from "Empath The Bandit Smurf"

Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 11:18 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post 
I can get the picture of the season 9 though it's not that bad or lame for me the cartoon like the
smurfs faced the new challenge,how to keep it fresh while keeping the ratings up and that when
the same time TV started to change its more and more about ratings so does the music executives
starts to think its all about chart performance,hit records and how to sell it rather than gives the
artist the freedom they used to have.
The Smurfs definitely a kind of a property or character that cannot be tamper with this kind of
"all business in mind"
It will always ended up in failure.
Books and Toys Merchandise is another story they always find its way to collectors but TV series
well...people at HB and NBC they just gave up on the series but smurfs themselves they never
gave up...

--------------------
I'm Brainy Smurf's alter ego one that didn't wearing glasses...for now...
"Eyesight 200/20 but I always see what's on my mind"

Posts: 694 | From: Bangkok,Thailand | Registered: May 2009
Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smurfy1For2:
I think they only really Jumped the Smurf in their time traveling season.. but I do like the early episodes the most!!

I agree with you, Smurfy. This season was never released on Brazilian TV and I just heard of it reading the Cartoon Episode Guide here in BB and its episodes synopses. And believe me, this didn't please me at all, I really didn't think HB had such a great idea making the Smurfs get lost in time (it even reminded me "Time Tunnel" the vintage TV series from the 60s), chiefly after watching some episodes on YouTube. [Frown] Sad to say, but I didn't find anything of that old black - sorry, blue - magic from the other seasons. [Roll Eyes]
In other words: not a good idea, Mr. Hanna and Mr. Barbera. Sorry. [Frown]

--------------------
Keep on always smurfin'!!

Posts: 4622 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Jul 2008
smurf it
Smurf
Member # 4445

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 06:20 PM      Profile for smurf it       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Squeaky Smurf:
quote:
Originally posted by Smurfy1For2:

I agree with you, Smurfy. This season was never released on Brazilian TV and I just heard of it reading the Cartoon Episode Guide here in BB and its episodes synopses. And believe me, this didn't please me at all, I really didn't think HB had such a great idea making the Smurfs get lost in time (it even reminded me "Time Tunnel" the vintage TV series from the 60s), chiefly after watching some episodes on YouTube. [Frown] Sad to say, but I didn't find anything of that old black - sorry, blue - magic from the other seasons. [Roll Eyes]
In other words: not a good idea, Mr. Hanna and Mr. Barbera. Sorry. [Frown]

The Smurfs should have ended in season 4 when the show was still at it's bestest. The 5th season of the Smurfs is were the show jump the shark big time, the reason for that happening was the de-aging of the three adult Smurfs characters namely Nat, Slouchy , and Snappy. By turning them into kids all over again, I forgot how mad i was when i first seen that episode.

For some odd reason seasons 8 and 9 never air on CN in the early 90s after it had it's original run on NBC 4 CH.

Jokie Smurf
Jokie Smurf22 / Chloette / Elton John Smurf / My dog Padfoot
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you smurf it, they should have ended at season 4.

--------------------
When people say giving is better than receiving they are talking about me. Giving someone one of my exploding presents is WAY better than receiving one. ;)

Posts: 2871 | From: New Orleans, Louisiana, USA | Registered: Nov 2011
smurf it
Smurf
Member # 4445

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-21-2012 07:39 PM      Profile for smurf it       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jokie Smurf:
I agree with you smurf it, they should have ended at season 4.

I do think it would have been better if the Smurfs had stop at season 4 then season 8, because the show would not have jump the shark in season 5 and season 9.
Shaney Smurf
Super Smurf
Member # 1345

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 12:52 AM      Profile for Shaney Smurf       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the show jumped the shark until season 9 with the time travel thing. I'm so glad they didn't end the series at season 4. Then I would have never had my favorite Smurf, Sweepy Smurf, in season 6. But seriously, the Smurflings never bothered me one bit. I always thought they were a great addition. The first episode where they de-aged had me a little bit uneasy, but that was mainly because I was always the type of kid who never liked change. But the Smurflings grew on me as did the addition of Grandpa Smurf a year later. It was season 9 when I believe it totally went downhill and NOT season 5. But you can have your opinion when the show jumped the shark for YOU.
Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 01:33 AM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post 
I think all the episodes are great! I am sad that the series ended, but I personally think series nine could have had a better, more appropriate ending-other than a cliffhanger.
smurf it
Smurf
Member # 4445

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 02:54 AM      Profile for smurf it       Edit/Delete Post 
I really think the Smurfs downfall begin in season 5. The reason for that was due to the de-aging of the original adult Smurfs characters by turning Natural Smurf, Slouchy Smurf , and Snappy Smurf into Smurflings which pretty much marked the beginning of the end for the Smurfs cartoon series.
VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 05:15 AM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think the Smurflings was a bad idea, I just simply hate how they went about doing it. That's part of the reason my version of the Smurflings in the EMPATH stories come from Smurfling Island instead of Father Time's Reverse Clock.

--------------------

smurf it
Smurf
Member # 4445

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 06:34 AM      Profile for smurf it       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by VicGeorge2010:
I didn't think the Smurflings was a bad idea, I just simply hate how they went about doing it. That's part of the reason my version of the Smurflings in the EMPATH stories come from Smurfling Island instead of Father Time's Reverse Clock.

I hated how they ruin the show by de-aging the original adult Smurfs characters into Smurflings. I wish they had have Gargamel trying to clone Natural Smurf, Snappy Smurf and Slouchy Smurf instead of having them go back to childhood all over again.

Season 5 is most likely the reason why i point to it were the show went downhill.

Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 08:52 AM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that would be better.

--------------------
When people say giving is better than receiving they are talking about me. Giving someone one of my exploding presents is WAY better than receiving one. ;)

VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 12:38 PM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post 
Nat Smurf seemed more like a replacement for Tracker Smurf. Nat would have been better off starting off as a Smurfling, as would Snappy and Slouchy.

--------------------

Jokie Smurf
Member # 4119

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Jokie Smurf  Jokie Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post 
I agree VicGeorge2010.

--------------------

Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post 
Very true, I am with you on this one
smurf it
Smurf
Member # 4445

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-23-2012 05:43 PM      Profile for smurf it       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by VicGeorge2010:
Nat Smurf seemed more like a replacement for Tracker Smurf. Nat would have been better off starting off as a Smurfling, as would Snappy and Slouchy.

I argee with you there.
smurf it
Smurf
Member # 4445

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-24-2012 01:09 AM      Profile for smurf it       Edit/Delete Post 
But seriously they should have never turned Natural Smurfs, and those two other Smurflings that were adults into Smurflings all over again since it did kinda ruin the show a whole lot.
Smurfy1For2
Smurf
Member # 1224

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-24-2012 05:09 AM      Profile for Smurfy1For2       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the episodes when the Smurflings would go off and sulk, or rebel or play in a rock band and things like that. Those episodes of the Smurfs didn't seem any different from any other show!! It stopped feeling like the smurfs and more like every other kid sitcom. Slouchy was whiny like that waay too much.

I liked it when the smurflings were naturally part of the story and just joined in with the older smurfs.

As long as the smurflings weren't in a "I'm a kid rebelling against authority and parents who just don't understand" story they felt like they belonged there totally.

Now getting into mischief is another story because that's always fun!! Having the Smurflings around, and Brainy too is always a good excuse to have things go all haywire and crazy because they're irresponsible!! I love episodes like that too and the Smurflings fit really well there.

So I don't think it's the Smurflings that made it jumpt the shark, I just think they did easy stories sometimes. Like the ones I mentioned about being in a rock band and "adults not paying attention to me" and that sort of stuff.

--------------------
u wished u rocked as i

Shaney Smurf
Super Smurf
Member # 1345

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-24-2012 04:11 PM      Profile for Shaney Smurf       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by smurf it:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaney Smurf:
I don't think the show jumped the shark until season 9 with the time travel thing. I'm so glad they didn't end the series at season 4. Then I would have never had my favorite Smurf, Sweepy Smurf, in season 6. But seriously, the Smurflings never bothered me one bit. I always thought they were a great addition. The first episode where they de-aged had me a little bit uneasy, but that was mainly because I was always the type of kid who never liked change. But the Smurflings grew on me as did the addition of Grandpa Smurf a year later. It was season 9 when I believe it totally went downhill and NOT season 5. But you can have your opinion when the show jumped the shark for YOU.

I really think the Smurfs downfall begin in season 5. The reason for that was due to the de-aging of the original adult Smurfs characters by turning Natural Smurf, Slouchy Smurf , and Snappy Smurf into Smurflings which pretty much marked the beginning of the end for the Smurfs cartoon series.

I'm sorry that the Smurflings idea ruined the rest of the series for you, but I don't agree with you one bit that it totally ruined the rest of the show or was the "beginning of the end". Far from it in my opinion. Season 9 is what ended it for me. Everything up to that point, up through the end of season 8 was fine. I'm sort of on par with what Vic said, that I love the Smurflings, but wasn't all that crazy with how they went about it. But that was only the first episode with the Smurflings that showed the deaging thing. After that, there is really no mention of it again and easily forgotten. But I think the characters of the Smurflings were just as charming as the adult Smurfs. I mean really, we needed some children in the village other than Baby.
Carnation
dogboo22 / Brunette / Greedette / President Smurfette / Summer Smurfette
Member # 4086

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-24-2012 06:18 PM      Profile for Carnation       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Shaney Smurf.

--------------------
With a good attitude no one can bring you down - Carnation

smurf it
Smurf
Member # 4445

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-24-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for smurf it       Edit/Delete Post 
People are entitle to their own opinions. But de-aging the adult Smurfs into Smurflings was a very poor idea to do even if the de-aging thing isn't brought up anymore for some odd unown reason after the first episode it did happen in. The village didn't really need to have kids in it to start since there was already Baby Smurf, but other then that the Smurf show should had stop at season 4 when the show was during really good in it's prime.

Page:  1  2   Previous Page  Next Page  Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2018 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.