Smurf at Last!   Smurfs 2 Movie            Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | SMURF STORIES | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

Page:  1  2    Previous Page  Next Page 
» Smurf Forum » Lessons Never Smurfed - A Smurfs Fanfic (Page 2)
Author Topic: Lessons Never Smurfed - A Smurfs Fanfic
Smurfette
Smurfalicious
Member # 4140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-03-2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Smurfette   Author's Homepage  Smurfette's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
That's great, I also like the end of chapter 7! Thnaks Hefty!

Also AMAZING work, I agree with Squeaky on the fact that Brainy probably made the right choic!

Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-03-2012 05:48 PM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Thank you so much!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

That was my last pre-written chapter for this story, but I've already started work on the next chapter. I'll try to find time to finish it this week, but I'm afraid I can't promise a speedy update. It really helps to know you're enjoying my story, though, and I really appreciate your encouraging comments! Thank you! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is easy to pretend we are strong. It is much harder to admit we are weak. A true friend, by loving every part of us, teaches us to love our weaknesses."
~Quotation from Brainy Smurf

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RowenaZahnreiCrafts?ref=si_shop

Amy Sue Smurfette
Nurturer Smurf / The Odd Smurf
Member # 4050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-11-2012 03:45 PM      Profile for Amy Sue Smurfette   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
oh no!!! poor Brainy...what an awful position to be stuck in :-( i sure hope everything will work out for him.

--------------------
we're all someone's little fangirl.

https://www.facebook.com/AmySuzySmurfyQ

Posts: 903 | From: fah fah aweeey... | Registered: Oct 2011
Lazy Smurf
blue4ever
Member # 4138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-14-2012 09:23 PM      Profile for Lazy Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I always enjoy reading your stories Rowena.
Can't wait for chapter 8! [Big Grin]

--------------------
HELLO SMURFY WORLD!
(I'm blue4ever)

Lazy Smurf
blue4ever
Member # 4138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-14-2012 09:24 PM      Profile for Lazy Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
EXCITED!!!!!!!

--------------------
HELLO SMURFY WORLD!
(I'm blue4ever)

Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-24-2012 01:59 PM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hi Everysmurf! I know I haven't been around much lately - schoolwork's got me totally swamped! - but I did manage to finish a new chapter for this story. I hope you enjoy it! [Cool] [Big Grin]

9. Monkey Business

If Hefty and Smurfette really had been a pair of domesticated monkeys, they might have found life at Lott's Traveling Spectacular pretty enjoyable. Miranda and Simon gave them plenty to eat and drink - especially once their show's reputation began to take off - and, despite their constant bickering, the two humans were very protective of their little "pets." They never let curious spectators get too close to the stage, and they chased away any children who tried to prod and pull and poke the little creatures.

But, Hefty and Smurfette weren't domesticated monkeys. They were Smurfs, and they resented every moment of their captivity. Whenever they weren't on stage, getting oohs and aahs from the astonished villagers and townspeople who gathered in the tent every night, the pair kept themselves busy by silently plotting their escape.

They made it once, craftily snagging Simon's key while he slept in a chair beneath their cage. But, by then, the traveling show had moved at least a dozen times, and the poor Smurfs had no idea where they were. Simon found them about three hours after their escape, soaked with rain and huddled in the hollow of an old oak tree. The enchanted Smurfs had tried to run, but Simon cast his holding spell on them and carried them back to their cage, as stiff as a pair of statues.

After that, Simon was much more careful with the key, and he bulked up the spells on the cage and its locks. But, Smurfette and Hefty refused to resign themselves to their fate. Everywhere they went, at every human town and city and village, they made a habit of leaving scraps of food outside their cage to attract small wild animals – squirrels and birds and even rats and mice – hoping that somehow, some way, word would get back to Papa Smurf that they were still alive and that they needed his help.

Still, things looked pretty bleak for the pair when, some nine weeks into their captivity, Lott's Traveling Spectacular trundled its way into the kingdom of King Gerard. Simon and Miranda didn't know it, but the spell they'd cast on the Smurfs was driven by the new moon. Little by little, so gradually Hefty and Smurfette barely noticed, the captive Smurfs were succumbing to their enchantment. In two weeks, when the third new moon gave way to a slivered crescent, their Smurfy identities would fade completely. When that happened, they would become monkeys for real, with no memories of Papa Smurf or their friends in Smurf Village.

The Smurf Village seemed different than Brainy remembered. No Smurf sang or whistled at his work. Every Smurf he and Clumsy passed walked with his head bowed and his feet shuffling in the dust.

"Clumsy, this is terrible," Brainy said. "How long have things been smurfing like this?"

"Almost three months, Brainy," Clumsy said. "Ever since Hefty and Smurfette disappeared, no Smurf's wanted to sing or dance or even smile. It's been a pretty miserable time, I can tell you."

"I can imagine," Brainy said. "Where is Papa Smurf?"

"He's out searching," a new voice spoke up. "He goes out every day at around this time. That's why I asked Clumsy to make sure he brought you here before sunset."

Brainy and Clumsy turned to see Tracker hobbling toward them. The adventurer's heavy cast had been replaced with a leg brace, but he still needed the support of a sturdy crutch.

"Tracker!" Brainy exclaimed, rushing to greet the wounded Smurf. "Clumsy told me what happened. I'm so sorry - I had no idea Azrael was - "

"No need to smurf apologies, Brainy," Tracker said. "None of this is your fault."

"But it is," Brainy said, his expression wretched behind his glasses. "If I hadn't been so arrogant-"

"You wouldn't have been Brainy," Tracker teased and laughed at the look on the Smurf's face. "Look, there's no point smurfing blame. Especially not now, when time is so short."

"What do you mean?" Brainy asked.

"Papa Smurf will return soon," Tracker said. "By that time, though, our little search party will be long gone. Smurfs!" he called.

Tuffy and Nat stepped out into the open, laden with sacks and bundles of provisions.

"We've been planning for this smurfpedition for a long time, Brainy," Tuffy said. "Many others wanted to come, but if too many of us disappeared, Papa Smurf would get suspicious too soon, and we can't afford that."

"But, I don't understand. Why are you smurfing all this in secret?" Brainy asked.

"It's like I told you, Brainy," Clumsy said. "Things have changed here, and not for the better. Papa Smurf's been gettin' stricter an' stricter with his rules."

"It's true," Nat said. "Some Smurfs have even been jailed for staying out at night after Papa Smurf called curfew. To smurf as an example to the rest of us."

"Jailed!" Brainy exclaimed. "That doesn't sound like Papa Smurf."

"You wouldn't say that if you'd heard him screaming at Handy," Tuffy said. "Poor Smurf went down to the mouth of the River Smurf to visit his friend Marina, but forgot to smurf where he was going in Papa Smurf's log book. Papa Smurf dragged him home and smurfed him out right in front of everysmurf!"

"Papa Smurf wants to protect us," Tracker said. "But he's gone too far. All his rules and curfews have smurfed our happy Village into a miserable cage! The only way to smurf things right again is for us to find Smurfette and Hefty and smurf them back home where they belong."

"Here, here!" the search party cheered, and Tracker gallantly doffed his feathered cap.

"But," Brainy said, breaking into the cheers. "But, what if we can't find them? If Papa Smurf's been going out every day and he hasn't found them yet, there has to be a reason. And they've been gone so long, that reason can't be very smurfy."

"We think so too," Nat said. "Something terribly unsmurfy must have happened them or Papa Smurf or one of my animal friends surely would have found their trail by now."

"We think they've been captured," Tuffy said. "But not by any of the usual suspects. We've been to Gargamel's and Hogatha's time and time again, but no sign of them has ever smurfed up."

"That's why we plan to smurf back to the beginning," Tracker said. "Back to the caves where I left Hefty and Smurfette on that terrible, terrible day. Papa Smurf has utterly refused to let me go, but I feel my leg is strong enough to travel. So, what do you say, Brainy? Will you smurf with us?"

"You have to ask?" Brainy exclaimed. "I broke my promise to Lyssandra, left my apprenticeship... My selfishness smurfed you all into this trouble. That makes it my responsibility to do what I can to smurf things right."

"Hm," Nat grunted, crossing his arms over his smurferalls. "That old elf Lyssandra must be a truly amazing teacher."

"What do you mean, Nat?" Clumsy asked the young Smurf.

Nat smirked.

"Seems she smurfed the impossible, an' actually smurfed Brainy some genuine humility."

Tuffy and Nat giggled. Brainy turned beet red.

"Hey!" he said. "I didn't come all this way to stand here and be insulted by an upstart little smurfling!"

"You can sit if you want," Tuffy said, and the pair giggled harder.

Brainy's eyes widened, but before he could retort, Tracker clapped a hand on the spectacled Smurf's shoulder.

"I know we can smurf on you, Brainy," Tracker said, looking him in the eye so the embarrassed Smurf would see he was serious. "If Smurfette and Hefty really have been captured, we're going to need a wizard along to help out."

"Oh, but I'm not a wizard," Brainy said. "I'm not even an apprentice since I left Lyssandra."

"You've been studying magic, haven't you?" Tuffy challenged. "Smurfing spells and enchantments?"

"Well, yes, but-"

"Then that's good enough for us," Tuffy said. "Come on, Smurfs! Let's get smurfing while the sun's still high."

To be continued...

--------------------
"It is easy to pretend we are strong. It is much harder to admit we are weak. A true friend, by loving every part of us, teaches us to love our weaknesses."

Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-24-2012 03:37 PM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Very great chapter, Rowena!! It made me wonder about what should come by now, since everything seems to get in Brauny's (our hero) hands!! [Cool]

--------------------
Keep on always smurfin'!!

Posts: 4945 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Jul 2008
Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-25-2012 06:49 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Woah,what am I doing?
Just like you Rowena it's been nothing but golf and studying,very busy and tired.
But yeah I'm still looking for my new method in writing so I think your style are really spot on so I think I'm going to copy your writing style if you don't mind...can I?
So now my fanfic can finally come out of the gate.

--------------------
I'm Brainy Smurf's alter ego one that didn't wearing glasses...for now...
"Eyesight 200/20 but I always see what's on my mind"

Posts: 694 | From: Bangkok,Thailand | Registered: May 2009
Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-25-2012 02:48 PM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Thank you guys! I'm so happy you liked it!

I'd be honored if you wanted to use my writing as a model, Oakley Smurf.

Thanks again! Until next time!! (I'll try not to be quite so long...) [Big Grin] [Cool]

--------------------

Amy Sue Smurfette
Member # 4050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-26-2012 07:19 AM      Profile for Amy Sue Smurfette   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
i had actually forgotten what was happening, but this refreshed me. i sure hope just for your sake that you get a nice break over the holidays. seems like you don't get much of one ever.

--------------------

Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-26-2012 01:50 PM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
You're not kidding! I'm actually on my way to London tomorrow for a big conference and then when I come back I have to give a presentation and finish writing out a chapter draft for my dissertation before flying home for Christmas. And while I'm home I have to go on a research trip to NYC and Pennsylvania and write all that up before flying back to the UK for another research trip to Cambridge before the Spring semester starts up! Still, I'd rather be too busy doing stuff I enjoy than have nothing at all to do. And when things do start to lag, I've got my stories and my dolls to make! LOL!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Amy Sue Smurfette
Member # 4050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-27-2012 11:25 AM      Profile for Amy Sue Smurfette   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
true, it is important to be doing what we love.

--------------------

Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 09-21-2013 08:16 AM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hi again, Everysmurf! Here's a little update for this story. Hope you enjoy it. [Big Grin]

10. A Lead At Last

"I recommend we stop here for now," Tracker said, limping back from his look-out position to where the little search party stood, well concealed from the nearby dirt path by a crumbling stone wall, all overgrown with grass and briars.

"But we're only half an hour's smurf from the city," Tuffy protested.

"Precisely why we should stop now and smurf for dark," Tracker said, resting his crutch against a scraggly little tree before lowering himself to the grassy ground. "There are far too many humans smurfin' about down there for my comfort."

"But, the sun won't smurf down for hours and hours!" Tuffy said. "If we stop here we'll be wasting time!"

"We've been smurfing a cold trail for nearly a week, Tuffy," Nat said. "I don't think a few hours will make much difference. Besides, it'll smurf me a chance to smurf some more information from the local animals."

Tuffy straightened his thick belt.

"Hmph," he grunted. "I'm not scared of any humans, no matter how many there are. I'm not scared of anything!"

"Then you won't mind smurfing us some firewood," Tracker said. "After all, if we're going to be staying here for a while, we might as well smurf ourselves some lunch!"

About an hour later, Tracker, Tuffy, Brainy and Clumsy were sitting around a small campfire taking turns stirring the contents of their stew pot when Nat ran up to them, followed by a sleek, brown mouse.

"Smurfs!" the young Smurf gasped, leaning his hands on his knees as he fought to catch his breath. "I think this mouse can tell us what happened to Smurfette and Hefty!"

The mouse sat on its haunches and began chittering. Nat listened carefully and chittered back every now and then.

"Not everysmurf speaks fluent Fieldmouse, you know," Brainy said, annoyed that he couldn't understand their conversation.

Nat listened for a moment longer, then turned to his friends.

"Mr. Mouse says he's not sure he can help us, but he did see something strange."

"Strange how?" Tuffy asked.

"Mr. Mouse says there are two small bluish creatures being held in a cage down there in King Gerard's capital city," Nat told him. "He saw them last night. They left food scraps outside their cage for the local animals to come get after dark."

"These bluish creatures," Brainy said, striding up to the mouse. "Did they look like us? Like Smurfs?"

The mouse shook his head and chittered to Nat.

"He says they were furry, grayer in color, and they had long tails," the young Smurf translated.

The Smurfs shared a worried look.

"An enchantment, perhaps?" Tracker asked.

"It could be," Brainy said, and thoughtfully stroked his chin.

"Well, it's our best lead yet," Tuffy said, boxing the air. Nat and the mouse backed out of his way. "I say we get this mouse to smurf us there so we can smurf those creatures for oursmurfs!"

"I agree," Tracker said. "But not yet. It would be better to smurf for dark. Then, we can sneak in with the local animals."

Nat chittered to the fieldmouse, who seemed to agree with Tracker. Inviting the little mouse to share their meal, the group settled in for a long and anxious wait.

To Be Continued...
[Cool]

--------------------

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 09-21-2013 10:11 AM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
"Not everysmurf speaks fluent Fieldmouse, you know," LOL! This is getting more and more exciting... can't wait to read what happens next!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I love everything about Smurfs: The Lost Village Movie!!!

Linkin Smurf
Smurf
Member # 4917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 09-21-2013 11:35 AM      Profile for Linkin Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Awesome story!!! get's more exiting, Can't wait for what happens next, Rowena

--------------------
My Smurf Nickname: Wacky Smurf

My Deviantart: http://thatonesmurfx103-9.deviantart.com/

My Fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~thatonesmurfx1039

Posts: 392 | From: Smurf Village in Toronto | Registered: Jul 2013
Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-23-2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hi again! Thanks a lot for your feedback and for your patience with my slow updates. I really appreciate it. Here's brand new update to keep this story moving. Hope you enjoy it! [Big Grin]

11. What Lies Beneath

The wind blew cold and the stars shone brightly as the Smurfs followed the little fieldmouse through the straw-strewn streets toward a looming canvas tent. Triangular flags flapped above them, creating moving shadows that flitted across their path like ghosts.

Tuffy jumped and boxed at the shadows, putting on a show of bravado that left Tracker shaking his head.

"Smurf down over there," he hissed. "We don't want to wake up any humans who might be inside."

The mouse chittered softly and indicated a small tear at the bottom of the tent. He slipped through, followed by Nat, then Brainy, Clumsy, Tuffy, and finally Tracker, who managed to hobble through by bending low and extending his injured leg straight out.

"Ow…" he groaned quietly as Brainy and Nat helped him straighten back up. At their concerned looks, he said, "Don't worry, I'm just smurfy."

The two Smurfs shared an unconvinced glance, but turned their gaze to their surroundings.

It was very dark inside the tent – almost too dark to see. The mouse motioned toward a large wicker cage hanging over a long, wooden table, then scampered up the table's leg, waving for the Smurfs to join him at the top. Nat offered Tracker a supportive arm, but he waved the younger Smurf away saying, "You smurf ahead. I'll stay down here and smurf a look-out."

The tabletop was a cluttered mess of dirty dishes, mixing bowls, stacks of books, scattered pamphlets, and unlabeled vials. Clumsy wrinkled his nose as they passed by a particularly stinky plate of half-eaten fish and bread scraps, only to jump in alarm at a sudden movement from the cage above.

The mouse squeaked and pointed excitedly to the cage. The Smurfs shared a nervous look, hardly daring to hope…

"Smurfette?" Brainy whispered. "Hefty? Are you up there?"

There was a flurry of motion, and two pairs of arms appeared through the slats in the cage, waving desperately.

"Uh, is it them?" Clumsy asked. "I can't tell in the dark."

"Neither can I," Brainy said, squinting through his glasses.

"Why don't they say something?" Tuffy demanded impatiently. "Come on, you Smurfs," he called up in a hoarse whisper. "Is it you or not?"

The waving became more frantic, making the cage rock and swing.

"I think it's them," Nat said.

"Then, why don't they talk?" Tuffy asked.

"How should I know," Nat retorted. "Maybe they're tied up, or gagged."

"Or enchanted," Brainy said, sniffing at a few of the nearest of the uncorked vials. "I know these powders. Lyssandra kept a lot of these chemicals in her lab, only hers were all carefully labeled and stored. I know, because I was the one who had to grind the ingredients and smurf the labels!"

"Gosh, Brainy, you might be right," Clumsy said. "If Smurfette and Hefty got enchanted, that could explain why Papa Smurf couldn't find them all this time!"

The shadowy arms waved even more frantically than before, as if confirming Clumsy's guess.

"Well, I for one think it's them," Nat repeated.

"Maybe," Tuffy said suspiciously. "But how can we be sure if they won't talk?"

"Does it matter?" Nat asked. "They're living beings and, whoever they are, they sure don't seem happy being stuck in that cage. If they've been kept prisoner here, I say it's our smurfy duty to set them free!"

Nat scurried to a small stack of books and pressed all his weight against them.

"Come on, Smurfs, smurf me a hand," he grunted.

Realizing what he was trying to do, Tuffy, Clumsy, and Brainy rushed to help, pushing and stacking books until they were high enough for Tuffy to make the jump from the top of the stack to the bottom of the cage. He swung there precariously for a moment, then shifted his grip on the wicker strips and climbed up the side of the cage until he found the door.

"It's locked!" he hissed down to the others.

"Huh," Clumsy said. "Then, let's look around. Maybe there's a key."

"No, there's no hole for a key," Tuffy said. "The lock's a sort of metal clip, and it won't budge!"

"Then, we'll have to lower the cage," Brainy said.

"How?" Tuffy called down, still keeping his voice low.

"The rope!" Tracker hissed up from the floor. "The cage is smurfed on a hook with a rope! I think it's tied down here, near the bookcase!"

"Can you smurf the knot, Tracker?" Nat asked, leaning over the edge of the table.

"I can smurf the knot, but I can't lower the cage," Tracker reported. "Not with this bum leg."

"Tuffy, can you climb down and smurf him a hand?" Brainy asked.

"I'll help too," Nat said.

It took less than two minutes for the Smurfs to untie the rope and carefully, quietly lower the heavy wicker cage to the table. Tuffy and Nat climbed back up to join the others.

Clumsy stood on tiptoe to peer through the wicker slats. He was met by two pairs of big, bright eyes staring back at him.

"Whoa," he yelped, and backed away.

"What is it, Clumsy?" Brainy asked. "What did you see?"

"I...I don't know, Brainy," he said. "They're blue, all right, but they're not Smurfs."

"How do you know?" Nat asked.

"Well, gosh," Clumsy said. "They're all furry!"

A soft hooting protest sounded from the cage, and whoever was inside banged at the locked door.

Nat crept closer.

"He's right," the young Smurf said. "I've been all over the forest, and I've never seen creatures like these. They must have been taken from a very far away land."

The creatures hooted louder and slammed their fists against the wicker. Nat frowned.

"Wait..." he said. "Say that again?"

Nat listened closely to the creatures' strange sounds. He seemed to copy the sounds, then listened again and, after a few exchanges, his eyes opened wide.

"Great Smurfs, Brainy," he said, "you were right! It's them, it's really them! They've been enchanted by a human wizard named Simon who works for a girl named Miranda Lott. She's the one who owns this traveling show."

"We've gotta smurf 'em out!" Tuffy exclaimed. "Lemme at that lock!"

"Wait!" Brainy said. "If Smurfette and Hefty have been enchanted, it's likely the lock's enchanted too. Smurf around at these books. If we can find the spells he used, we can look up the spells to undo them."

The enchanted Smurfs hooted again and Nat's frown grew.

"Oh no," he said.

"Uh, what's wrong?" Clumsy asked.

"Well," Nat said, "it seems this Simon guy doesn't smurf his spells by the book. He'll look something up and, if he doesn't have the ingredients, he'll throw in anything he's got. That's how Smurfette and Hefty ended up like this in the first place! According to them, Simon had wanted to smurf them into miniature horses. He smurfed them into monkeys by accident!"

Brainy looked positively dismayed, but he said, "That horse spell... Do they know which book it's in?"

Nat listened for a few seconds then said, "It's a big one. Blue and red."

"It's over here!" Tuffy said from the far end of the table.

The Smurfs worked together to pry open the overlarge book and flip through to the index, then to the page the spell was on. As Brainy started to read it through, his face went from dismayed to horrified, but before he could say anything the Smurfs heard a rustling sound...then human voices.

"Miranda and Simon!" Nat hissed. "They're awake!"

"Quick," Brainy said to Clumsy, "help me tear out this page! Tuffy, Nat, see if you can find something to cut that cage open! We've got to smurf them out of here before those humans find us, or we could end up in the same trap!"

"Nat, smurf me a hand with this junk," Tuffy said, digging through the mess on the table. "I know I saw a knife by this plate. It might be sharp enough to smurf that wicker!"

Brainy and Clumsy finished with the page and worked together to close the book, then cover it with another. Brainy rolled the unwieldy paper into a tight scroll while Clumsy rushed to help Nat and Tuffy cut a hole in the cage.

"Got it!" Tuffy exclaimed, tearing the woven pieces away.

Smurfette and Hefty squeezed out through the narrow hole and hugged them all with their long, furry arms.

The human voices grew louder, closer. Tracker rushed to the tent flap.

"They're coming!" he called.

"We've got to go, now," Brainy said, and led the way down the table leg to join Tracker and the little mouse.

"We smurfed a trip-rope across the entrance," Tracker said with a nod to the mouse. "It might smurf us a few minutes to get out of sight."

"Smurfy thinking, Tracker," Brainy said, and helped the injured Smurf crawl back through the rip in the canvas.

"Mr. Mouse will lead us back to that clearing at the edge of town," Nat said as the little group rushed across the cobblestones, "but then he's got to smurf home to his family. I-"

There was a low yelp, then a high pitched scream, followed by a loud, clattering crash. A moment later, two human voices started yelling they'd been robbed.

The Smurfs shared a quick grin, then scurried into the shadows. They'd managed to achieve half their mission - they'd found and rescued Smurfette and Hefty. Now, they needed to find a way to lift their enchantment...a task Brainy feared would be a lot harder than the other Smurfs suspected.

Brainy's few months of training with Lyssandra had not prepared him for this. The spell he clutched in his hands was advanced magic. Very advanced magic. And, if Nat was right, it was full of substitutions - a mixture of unknown ingredients in unknown proportions. To make matters worse, if what little he'd managed to read was right, the spell was on a time-limit. If he couldn't find a way to reverse the enchantment before the rise of the crescent moon, Smurfette and Hefty would be doomed to live the rest of their lives as monkeys.

It was more than he could handle. He could feel that in his gut. But, the other Smurfs were depending on him.

Smurfette and Hefty were depending on him.

Three months ago, Brainy would have swallowed his doubts and blustered ahead, allowing his pride to take the lead, but now...

He needed help. He needed Lyssandra's help. But, her home was days away on foot. Days Smurfette and Hefty didn't have.

Brainy swallowed hard, but couldn't hold back a cold shudder.

Never in his life had he felt so alone.

To Be Continued...
[Cool]

--------------------

Carnation
dogboo22 / Brunette / Greedette / President Smurfette / Summer Smurfette
Member # 4086

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 11-23-2013 04:34 PM      Profile for Carnation       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Awesome work on the story! I wonder what's going to happen 😁

--------------------
With a good attitude no one can bring you down - Carnation

Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-03-2014 08:13 PM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Sorry for taking so long with the updates, but I hope you like this next part! Thanks for reading!! [Smile]

12: Fireside Reflections

The Smurfs' campfire had burned down to glowing embers, but Brainy still couldn't sleep. He'd tried everything from reciting quotations to mentally counting the books in his library yet, hour after hour, sleep stubbornly refused to come.

Finally, he gave up. Throwing off the leaf he'd claimed for a blanket, he put on his glasses and stalked over to sit in a hunch by what was left of the fire.

The others were spread out around him, a ring of contentedly slumbering adventurers all dreaming of their happy homecoming. A happy homecoming that depended on him, Brainy Smurf, figuring out a way to break Simon's spell before the rise of the crescent moon.

Brainy burrowed his face in his hands and moaned.

A rustle of leaves announced the presence of another Smurf beside him. Brainy tensed, bracing himself for one of Clumsy's well-meaning pep talks. It was downright uncanny how that Smurf could always smurf when Brainy was in his darkest moods…not to mention irritating…

"Too excited to sleep?" Tracker asked, easing his bad leg into a sitting position with a soft grunt of effort. "Me too. Thought I'd stoke the fire for a while. Wouldn't want to be caught in the woods without a nice fire to warn off predators, what?"

Brainy looked up in surprise.

"Tracker?"

"Sorry, am I disturbing you? I can smurf over—"

"No, no, you can stay," Brainy said, and looked down at the gravely ground – posed like the poster-Smurf for abject misery.

"Right-oh," Tracker said, and busied himself with the fire, gathering up twigs and poking at the embers with a long, thick stick.

Brainy watched this for as long as he could stand, then heaved his deepest, most dejected sigh - the kind that never failed to stir Clumsy's concern and sympathy.

Tracker kept stacking kindling, as if he hadn't heard.

Brainy sighed again, louder.

When Tracker took no notice, he scooted nearer the adventure Smurf, clutched his head in his hands, and moaned.

"Headache?" Tracker asked, his attention still on the fire. "Come sit over here, out of the smoke."

Brainy grit his teeth. Tracker's apparent indifference was only increasing his desperation to be heard.

"My head's not the problem," he blurted. "Or, maybe it is. Tracker…can I tell you something? Something important?"

"Sure thing," Tracker said, sitting back from the crackling flames to give Brainy his full attention. "What's the trouble, old bean?"

Brainy winced at the 'old bean,' but decided now wasn't the time to comment.

"I…I haven't told you Smurfs much about my time with Lyssandra…" he started.

"Well, we haven't really had much time for stories this trip, have we," Tracker said.

"No… But, this isn't a story," Brainy said miserably. "Tracker… I…I'm not the wizard you think I am. The spell that's transformed Smurfette and Hefty… That's advanced magic. Really advanced. And…I just don't think I can smurf it. At least, not until I've had a chance to study. The problem is, that would take more time than Smurfette and Hefty have."

Tracker raised his eyebrows until they vanished under his feathered hat.

Brainy scowled.

"What's that look for?"

"Nothing," Tracker said. "It's just, the Brainy I know would never have admitted he wasn't up to the task. Not until he'd already fouled things up, anyway."

"Tracker, I'm not smurfing around here!" Brainy hissed through his teeth, his eyes darting to the Smurfs slumbering behind them. "This spell is on a time limit – a tight one. I've smurfed half the night trying to think through this problem from every possible angle, and there's just no way I can smurf this spell before time runs out. The fact is, we've only hours left to smurf a difference and, if we miss this window, Hefty and Smurfette will be stuck as monkeys for the rest of their lives!"

Tracker looked jolted.

"That's bad," he said.

"No smurfin'," Brainy grunted.

Tracker straightened.

"All right," he said. "If you can't smurf the spell, there must be someone around who can. Novice or no, you're not the only wizard in this forest, what? Why don't we track down that Elf friend of yours – Lyssandra! She'd help us, wouldn't she?"

"That's a good question," Brainy said glumly, "after the way I left her… But no, I'm sure she'd help once she understood the trouble we're in. But, how could we possibly smurf Hefty and Smurfette to her lab in time? Her home is days away from here on foot!"

"Who says we have to smurf to her place on foot?" Tracker retorted. "I recall observing this one bit of magic, down by the waterfall back when this whole mess began. Lyssandra stepped through a rippling portal she smurfed right in the air. Do you know that trick?"

"Of course," Brainy huffed. "That's just basic translocation. But it's no good. I'd need a mirror, or at least a reflective pool, and we don't even have a cup of water in this camp. Just canteens."

Tracker gave him a significant look.

Brainy frowned, not understanding.

Tracker looked harder, straight into his eyes.

Brainy blinked and leaned away.

"What?" he demanded. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

Tracker rolled his eyes.

"Brainy," he said, "You might not realize it, but in the dark your glasses reflect these campfire flames just like a pair of mirrors."

Brainy's jaw dropped, and he snapped his fingers.

"That's it! My glasses!" he exclaimed. "It's so simple, why didn't I think of it before? Tracker – the lenses of my glasses can smurf as the reflective surface I need to smurf the translocation spell! We could all be in Lyssandra's study in minutes!" He chuckled at his own brilliance. "Sometimes my intelligence astounds even me."

"It's not your intelligence I find astounding…" Tracker muttered under his breath, but Brainy was too caught up in his enthusiasm to notice.

Quickly, the spectacled Smurf rattled of a list of ingredients he needed from the forest. Tracker limped off to wake up Nat and Tuffy while Brainy sifted through his pack for a sheet of paper, some ink, and a quill. By the time the little search party returned, Brainy was pretty confident that the words he'd scribbled down were the words he needed to open the portal to Lyssandra's study. What he wasn't quite so sure of was the order…

"Shouldn't we wake up the others?" Tuffy asked, yawning into his hand.

"We should definitely smurf out the fire before we go," Nat said. "It's not smurfy to leave a campfire burning – the sparks could smurf a forest fire!"

"Quite right, lads," Tracker said. "Nat, smurf some dirt on that fire. Tuffy, get the others up and packed. Brainy, how's that translocation spell coming?"

"It's not easy to smurf a spell like this when I have to keep taking off my glasses to make it work," Brainy griped. "I can't see the reflections my glasses are reflecting!"

"Uh, gosh! Can I help, Brainy?" Clumsy offered, shrugging on his pack and loping to his friend's side.

Brainy brightened significantly at the sound of his best friend's voice.

"Clumsy! Just the Smurf I was hoping to hear! Smurf over here and smurf my glasses just the way I tell you."

By this time, the whole group had assembled around Brainy, yawning and stretching. Smurfette and Hefty, unable to talk, shared anxious glances with their friends as Brainy raised his arms and intoned the strange-sounding verse he'd been struggling so hard to remember.

"What language is that, do you think?" Tuffy asked.

"Some kind of ancient Elfish would be my guess," Nat said. "Whoa—Tuffy, smurf out!"

The young Smurf pulled his friend back just in time to keep him from tumbling straight into the rippling tear Brainy had caused to appear in the air between them.

"Way to go, Brainy! You've done it!" Tracker cheered.

"Naturally," Brainy preened, more relieved it had worked than he'd ever care to admit. "It's like I said: basic translocation."

"Yeah…but where's it go?" Tuffy asked, circling the tear suspiciously. "I mean, I wouldn't want to smurf through that weird hole just to smurf up in Gargamel's hovel…or some worse place!"

Brainy replaced his glasses on his nose and turned a haughty glare on Tuffy.

"The portal doesn't 'go' anywhere," he said. "To make it work, you have to think of the place where you most want to be. You smurf through and - poof! - you're there."

"How's that supposed to work!" Tuffy squeaked. "Except for you and Clumsy, none of us has ever smurfed to Lyssandra's lab!"

"I'll do the thinking," Brainy said. "We'll all smurf through the portal together. Come on, let's join hands."

Tuffy still looked uncertain, but Nat gave him an encouraging shove and the pair of them linked hands with the rest of the group.

Brainy took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and concentrated as hard as he could on picturing Lyssandra's sprawling home, hidden under the ruins of the ancient Roman amphitheater.

"Here goes everything..." he whispered, and stepped through the rippling portal.

To Be Continued...
[Cool]

--------------------

Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted 03-05-2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
How smurfy to see Smurfette and Hefty were rescued, and that Brainy took courage to ask for Lysandra's help! Congrats, Rowena, your story is getting better and better! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Keep on always smurfin'!!

Posts: 4945 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Jul 2008
Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-06-2014 08:12 AM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
This is a great story and very well written... as Squeaky said, it just keeps getting better and better!!!
[Happy Smurf]

--------------------
I love everything about Smurfs: The Lost Village Movie!!!

Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 01-04-2015 09:45 PM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Sorry for taking so long with the updates. Hope you like this next chapter!! [Cool]

13: Working Backwards

"What do you mean, you let them go! How could you just let them leave like that?"

Lyssandra sat back in her worn, wooden chair, her gnarled walking stick resting across her lap.

"It was Brainy Smurf's decision to make," she said. "He is old enough and capable enough to handle the repercussions."

"Capable!" Papa Smurf paced Lyssandra's library, stalking from her reading table to the large mirror on the far wall and back again. "I trusted you to smurf out for him, and you promised you would keep him safe—"

"Safety, as you mean it, is no more than an ideal – an illusion," the old Elf said. "I promised I would teach him, as I once taught you, young Smurf. It is now up to him to apply what little he has learned to the problems ahead."

For a moment, Papa Smurf looked like he was about to blow his stack. Then, slowly, he let out the breath he'd been holding and folded his tense form into the chair across from Lyssandra's.

"Oh, Lyssandra," he sighed. "I don't know what to do. Everything has been falling apart. The Smurfs won't listen to me anymore! Smurfette and Hefty have been gone so long… And now I find Brainy has abandoned his apprenticeship and disappeared along with Tracker, Clumsy, Tuffy, and Nat. Why would they do this, Lyssandra? Why would they smurf something so dangerous, so irresponsible – especially Tracker, with that broken leg…!"

"Sounded to me like they wanted to find their friends," Lyssandra said.

"By defying my orders?" Papa Smurf snapped. "I told those Smurfs to stay in the Village, where I could keep an eye on them! And, as for Brainy—"

"These are not infant Smurflings, dependent on your watchful care to keep out of mischief," Lyssandra said. "The Smurfs I met here were intelligent, empathetic individuals. Brainy and Clumsy both walked out with their eyes wide open to the dangers of the wider world, and the consequences of leaving their home with you."

"Lyssandra, you don't understand!" Papa Smurf said. "It's my job to—"

"Guide them? Be there, when they reach a fork in the road? Or, would you rather clamp your charges under a strong, glass dome and stop the hands of time? Or, better, set them spinning in reverse?"

"You're not being fair," Papa Smurf said. "I smurfed that Village curfew for the benefit of the Smurf community. We must look after each other in these difficult times and, in order to do that, I need to know exactly where each of my little Smurfs is at any given…moment…"

He trailed off, his voice faltering slightly. Lyssandra gently placed a hand over his, her silvery hair shielding most of her face from his view.

"You think you are alone, young Smurf," she said quietly. "That I cannot understand your feelings because I live here, alone, with no family to care for, or to care about me. But, I do understand. I know what it is to be part of a loving family, and I know the helpless anger that comes of no longer being a sister, a daughter, a friend… To lose one's family is to lose the better part of oneself. But what you have been doing is not fair to those who are still with you. Your Smurfs share your pain, and your fear. They look to you to give them direction, to help them feel less helpless in the face of their friends' uncertain fate. Yet, you have been denying them that. By treating them like infants and locking them in their rooms, you have been stoking their frustrations, not soothing them. Is it any wonder they have begun to rebel?"

"But I…" Papa Smurf started, but choked on his protest, his voice rough with tears. "I can't find them, Lyssandra!" he cried. "These past months, I have smurfed high and low and everywhere in-between, but I've smurfed no sign of Smurfette or Hefty. I…I've tried to smurf hope that they're still out there, that they're still alive, but every day I become a little less certain. And now these others have smurfed off on the same impossible quest…and I can't help smurfing 'what if…?' What if they don't come back? What if…if I never smurf them again! Oh, my Smurfs… My dear, dear little Smurfs…"

Lyssandra drew closer as Papa Smurf dissolved into tears, holding him like a mother holds her child. They were still sitting like that when Lyssandra's mirror began to ripple, the transparent glass wavering like barely set jelly. A line of figures began to emerge from the shimmering portal: five Smurfs and two small, monkey-like creatures, the likes of which Papa Smurf had never seen before.

"Hey, what do you know! He did it!" Tuffy said as soon as the whole group had made it through, giving Brainy a little punch on the arm. "Way to go, Brainy!"

Brainy rubbed his arm, but smiled. "Yeah, I did, didn't I," he said - then froze, his proud smile dropping with an almost audible clank.

"P-Papa Smurf!" he gasped. "I-I didn't know you would be here... I...I can explain..."

Papa Smurf looked at Lyssandra, then at the gathered Smurfs, his blue face practically glowing with joyful relief.

"I know what you did, Brainy," he said, "and I know why you did it. And, while I can't say I approve of any of you Smurfs smurfing away behind my back, it is certainly smurfy to see you all here!"

The Smurfs' pale expressions cheered and the whole group fell into a warm embrace. Only Lyssandra and the two monkey-creatures held back.

Lyssandra's nose twitched, and she tilted her silvery head toward the furry pair.

"Don't tell me," she said. "Simple Simon has struck again. I'd know the scent of that lazy oaf's muddled magic anywhere."

Tracker and his friends let out a cheer, and Brainy dared to step forward.

"I told them you would know what to do, Lyssandra," he said, and held out the rolled-up page he'd taken from Simon's magic book. "I brought this for you. I remember you always said how important it is for a wizard to have his source material ready when working to counteract a spell. Especially an unsmurfy, mixed-up spell like this one."

"Wait," Papa Smurf said, his eyes fixed on the two nervous monkeys. "What are you saying? Are you telling me that these... That you've actually found..."

"That's right, Papa Smurf," Tracker said. "Those blue creatures are our very own Smurfette and Hefty. I told you I'd track them down, come smurf or high water. No broken leg could keep this nose from smurfing out the trail, what?"

"Your nose wouldn't have smurfed anything without my brains!" Brainy retorted.

"Don't forget Nat's mouse!" Tuffy said, balling his fists.

"C'mon, Smurfs, this is no time to fight," Clumsy protested. "Uh, wasn't Brainy just sayin' how we've only got a few hours before that unsmurfy spell becomes permanent?"

"What's this?" Papa Smurf exclaimed.

"It's a moon-based enchantment, Papa Smurf," Brainy said. "According to Simon's spellbook, we only have until the rise of the crescent moon to find a counterspell or..."

"Or Smurfette and Hefty will be stuck as monkeys, forever," Nat finished.

"Short deadline," Lyssandra commented. "But not impossible to meet."

"You mean, you can undo the spell, Lyssandra?" Brainy said, hope perking all over his blue face.

"No," the silvery elf said.

The Smurfs gasped in horror.

"But, you can," she finished. "You and your Papa Smurf. I'll be here to advise, should you need me."

Brainy and Papa Smurf shared an uncertain glance.

"But, Lyssandra..." Brainy said awkwardly. "Surely, you, with your wisdom, would be better able to-"

"Perhaps I could, once," Lyssandra said. "But, I can't see that paper you brought here, Brainy. In fact, I haven't been able to see anything for longer than any of you Smurfs have been alive."

"Lyssandra..." Papa Smurf gasped. "You don't mean that all this time..."

"I told you young Brainy and I would be a good match," she said and smiled, her sightless eyes sparkling silver. "The blind leading the blind, as it were. Before you brought him here, I was worried I would have no one to pass my library of raised-print books to...that all the knowledge I have gained and mistakes I have made would eventually be lost to time. I long dreamed of finding a young person I could teach to read and write my way, using the raised-print alphabet I devised...yet, who but a blind wizard would take the time to learn to read with their fingers, rather than falling back on their eyes?"

"Then...then that's why you took so long to repair my glasses after I spilled that hydrosmurfic acid on them?" Brainy said. "You wanted me to learn to know the world the way you do - to smurf things with your ears and your hands and your heart."

"All senses can lie," Lyssandra said, "but the eyes, perhaps, are the most deceiving."

"Yeah, I'm sure all this is fascinating," Tuffy said, impatiently hiking up his belt, "but what's all this mean for Smurfette and Hefty? Can you smurf the spell or not?"

"We'll smurf it together," Papa Smurf said.

"Right," Brainy said. "Master and Apprentice. That is...if you'll forgive me, Lyssandra, for walking out the way I did..."

"Save your friends, Brainy Smurf," Lyssandra said. "Then, we'll talk."

Brainy looked nervous, but he squared his shoulders and unrolled the spell he'd taken from Simon's tent on Lyssandra's table.

"Brainy," Papa Smurf said, "this is a horse spell, not a monkey spell."

"I know, Papa Smurf," Brainy said. "Simon must have substituted some of the ingredients when he enchanted Smurfette and Hefty."

"Do you know what those substitutions were?" Papa Smurf asked.

"No," Brainy said. "But we can work it out."

"How?"

"I figure it's like the assignment Lyssandra smurfed to me just before I left," Brainy said. "The spell with the missing ingredient. I was supposed to work backwards, identifying each ingredient and what it did before I could smurf what the missing ingredient was and how much I needed to smurf the spell. We'll have to smurf the same thing with this spell, identifying what each ingredient does, then comparing them with the list of ingredients we found in Simon's lab until we smurf the right combination."

"That's going to take some time," Papa Smurf said worriedly. "And even if we do manage to reconstruct Simon's monkey spell, we'll still have to figure out a counterspell before the crescent moon rises. That's tomorrow night - less than a day away!"

"Don't worry, Papa Smurf, we'll do it," Brainy said confidently.

"What makes you so sure?" Tracker asked curiously.

Brainy turned his spectacled gaze to Smurfette and Hefty, huddled nervously in the corner with Nat and Clumsy.

"Because we have to," he said, and turned back to the spell. "Come on, let's smurf to work!"

To Be Continued...

Happy New Year! Thanks for reading, and for your fantastic reviews!
[Cool]

--------------------

Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-18-2015 05:46 AM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
14: Complimentary Skills

Tuffy kicked the wall, then slumped down into a hunch.

"I'm going absosmurfly batty just sitting around like this!" he said. "How much longer is all this reading and experimenting going to take?"

"You could grab a book and help," Nat suggested from where he'd been sitting talking with Smurfette and Hefty in their monkey language. Realizing his talents weren't needed for this part of the adventure, Tracker had fallen asleep on a nest of pillows he'd gathered together from around Lyssandra's library, his injured leg propped on a stool.

"I can't smurf any sense out of all that magic mumbo-jumbo," Tuffy complained. "I have no idea what half those stupid words even mean! How Brainy can sit there, hour after hour, smurfing through all those pages, I'll never know."

"Well, I guess that's why all us Smurfs are so different, Tuffy," the half-grown Smurfling said. "Every Smurf is good at something, but no Smurf is good at everything."

Tuffy snorted, and stalked over to take a seat at their table. "So, what are you Smurfs doing?"

"Mostly, trying not to panic," Nat said, giving the two enchanted Smurfs a sympathetic smile. "Lyssandra gave us some cards, though. Want to smurf a game?"

Tuffy glanced at the gray-blue monkeys. "Can they…?"

Nat looked disapproving.

"They're still Smurfs, Tuffy, whatever they may look like right now," he said. "Now, you keep quiet and I'll smurf the cards."

"…then, according to this formula, the fourth substitution must be…" Brainy strained to think, tapping his pencil against his temple.

"Go ahead," Lyssandra encouraged. "You're nearly there."

"Wolfsbane!" Brainy exclaimed. "It's got to be wolfsbane! That would explain all the fur!"

"Well done Brainy," the elf praised, but Brainy was too involved in his work to bask in his achievement.

"Papa Smurf!" he called, racing to the lab table where Papa Smurf was carefully weighing and mixing various quantities of the different ingredients Brainy had been working to identify. "Papa Smurf, it's wolfsbane! That's the fourth missing ingredient!"

Papa Smurf's grim expression brightened. "Of course…" he said. "It's all starting to come together now. The question is, how much wolfsbane is enough to trigger the reaction?"

"I'll get to work on the numbers," Brainy said, returning to his notebook. "Balancing these compounds sure is tricky work, isn't it, Papa Smurf."

"I have to admit, this is the part of working magic I never really enjoyed," Papa Smurf said. "All the theory! I'm afraid I'm more of a practical wizard. I prefer smurfing out experiments in my lab to hunting through books and scrolls and working with formulae and equations."

"That's funny," Brainy said. "I really like magical theory. In fact, I was just thinking how smurfy it would be if I could do this kind of research work all the time!"

"Hm," Papa Smurf grunted, and looked thoughtfully at Lyssandra, patiently guiding Brainy through the next stage of the problem. "Amazing…" he whispered to himself. "Perhaps it's true what they say. There are none so blind as those who will not see…"

Clumsy clomped down Lyssandra's narrow stairway, lugging a yellow fruit behind him that was almost as long as he was tall.

"Brainy! Uh, Brainy, I got it!" he called as he clattered into the library. Nat, Tuffy, Smurfette, and Hefty looked up from their card game in surprise. Tracker mumbled in his sleep, and rolled over. Clumsy beamed at them. "Feathers and I had to fly a long, long way, but we found a ripe banana and a peanut! Uh, where's Brainy?"

Tuffy jumped up from the table. "Wait – are you saying you were out on Feathers smurfing for this stuff?"

"Well, yeah," Clumsy said.

"And you didn't smurf me along!" Tuffy cried.

"Uh, gosh. I'm sorry, Tuffy. I guess when Brainy asked me to—"

"Clumsy, you're back!" Brainy exclaimed, dashing into the library. "Come on, quick, help me get this banana to Papa Smurf. You too, Tuffy. Where's the peanut?"

"Right here," Clumsy said, pulling half of a shelled peanut kernel from his pocket. "I…uh…I did find a whole peanut, but I, uh, sorta fell on it and, well, there was this squirrel and—"

"Never mind, you did great, Clumsy," Brainy said, guiding the group into the lab and having them set the banana on the floor. "Now we've got everything Simon used to put that spell together."

Tuffy wrinkled his forehead. "Why would he put a banana and a peanut in a spell?"

"I don't think he meant to," Lyssandra said, and shook her head. "My guess is whatever bowl he used to mix the spell had previously held his lunch. Or somebody's lunch. In any case, it was nothing short of irresponsible for him to use a dirty bowl. The cross contamination is part of the reason why your friends took the form of monkeys instead of the miniature horses the spell is designed to produce."

"Uh, gosh," Clumsy said. "But…does this mean you've figured out what went wrong?"

"We think so, Clumsy," Papa Smurf told him from the cluttered lab table, without pausing his work. "Once I've reproduced the spell, we'll know for sure. Then, comes the hard part."

"What do you mean then?" Tuffy asked. "I thought unmixing Simon's mixed up magic was the hard part."

"It was," Brainy said. "Believe me! But now we have to smurf the counterspell."

"Oh…" Clumsy and Tuffy shared a nervous glance.

"Uh, Brainy," Clumsy said. "I know you can't tell from in here 'cause there's no windows, but I think I should tell you, outside it's gettin' past late afternoon."

"I know, I know," Brainy said anxiously. "We've only got a few hours left before the rise of the crescent moon!"

"Do you think you'll make it?" Tuffy asked.

Brainy bit his lip and looked to Lyssandra and Papa Smurf.

"We can only do our best, Tuffy," Papa Smurf said. "Now, you and Clumsy should go back to the library and keep Hefty and Smurfette company. We'll let you know the instant we've finished here."

To Be Concluded...

--------------------

Rowena
Smurf
Member # 4018

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-18-2015 05:48 AM      Profile for Rowena   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
15: The Sorcerer's Apprentice?

The crescent moon rose, waxed, and waned over the Smurf Village, but the huge party celebrating the breaking of Simon's spell and welcoming Smurfette and Hefty home continued well into the moon's next cycle. Before long, Tracker was well enough to return his crutch to Dabbler and go back to happily tramping through the forest, blazing trails and sniffing out one of the Smurfs' favorite delicacies: truffles.

"Oh Brainy, oh Papa Smurf, I will never be able to thank you enough for rescuing us from that awful spell! You're my heroes!" Smurfette cried, refreshing the vase of fresh-cut flowers in Papa Smurf's lab and giving them both a big, happy hug, as she had been doing every day since their triumphant return from Lyssandra's home. The two Smurfs smiled and hugged her back, as always but, this day, as she left to join Hefty and Tuffy on their morning jog to the dam and back, Brainy's smile turned a little wistful.

"Is something wrong, Brainy?" Papa Smurf asked as he returned to his latest crop-growth experiment.

Brainy looked like a Smurfling with his hand caught in Greedy's cookie jar.

"Oh, no, Papa Smurf," he said. "I'm very happy you decided to let me be your assistant again. I truly am grateful for this second chance, and there is nowhere else I'd rather be than here in Smurf Village with you and all my friends. I really mean that!"

"But, you're thinking about Lyssandra, aren't you," Papa Smurf said.

Brainy adjusted his glasses on his nose, and sighed.

"Yes," he admitted. "I broke my promise to her, Papa Smurf. And…I know she thinks it's more important for the two of us to smurf along but… Well, I…"

"Go on, Brainy," Papa Smurf said. "Your feelings are important. Don't smurf them inside on my account."

Brainy blinked a few times, then looked down, his fingers fidgeting until he clasped them together.

"All my life, I wanted to be exactly like you, Papa Smurf," he said. "And I still respect you, more than anyone else in the world! It's just…"

He swallowed, and turned his gaze to the window.

"I don't want to…be…you anymore. Since that time we spent working together in Lyssandra's lab, unsmurfing Simon's awful spell… It made me realize…we don't think the same way, you and me. And, while I still want to become a wizard with everything that I am, I know now that…that I want to be a different kind of wizard. You're interested in crops and plants and growing things…I'm more interested in books, and people."

He looked up at his mentor, his eyes wide and vulnerable behind his glasses.

"Do you hate me now?"

Papa Smurf gave a start, then burst out laughing.

"No, of course I don't hate you, Brainy!" he said. "To tell you the truth, I think I've been waiting for this moment a long time."

"You have?" Brainy asked.

"It's important to know your own mind, Brainy," Papa Smurf said. "To follow your own talents. I want you to be the Smurf you are, not some younger copy of me. If that means your interests smurf you along a path different from mine, all the better. I'd rather work with a colleague than a copy. Do you understand, Brainy?"

Brainy looked thoughtful.

"Yes… I think I do, Papa Smurf," he said.

Papa Smurf's smile broadened and he clapped the younger Smurf on the shoulder.

"I'm so proud of you, Brainy," he said. "If you want to return to Lyssandra and complete your apprenticeship with her, I'm certain she'll take you back."

"Really!" Brainy exclaimed. "Oh…I didn't mean—"

"I know what you meant, Brainy," Papa Smurf said with a chuckle. "And don't worry, it won't be like it was before. You've proven to me, just now, that you're no longer a child, and you won't be treated like one. When you're not working, you'll be free to come and go as you wish. In fact, if you like, you can choose to study with Lyssandra a few weeks a month, and with me the rest of the time. For, you see, I've learned a few lessons too, these past months."

"You have?" Brainy asked. "What did you learn, Papa Smurf?"

"I learned my little Smurfs aren't so little anymore. Even the Smurflings are nearly grown," he said. "And my role in your lives has changed. I will always strive to keep you safe, but my responsibility now is to respect you as the adults you are. You Smurfs don't need a guardian anymore…and I no longer want to be one for you. I'll be your guide when you need me but mostly, I'd like to be your friend."

"My friend?" Brainy looked a little overwhelmed.

"Brainy, are you all right?" Papa Smurf asked.

"Yes," Brainy said a little hoarsely. "I'm fine. I...I just..."

Brainy wiped his eyes behind his glasses, then clasped his Papa Smurf in a powerful hug.

"I love you, Papa Smurf," he said. "I love you so much!"

"I love you too, Brainy," Papa Smurf said, feeling his own eyes begin to sting.

"And I'll be worthy of your confidence in me, don't you worry," Brainy said, pulling away from the hug. "I'll finish my apprenticeship and become a full wizard and then I'll be a real help to the Village, just like I always wanted to be! And, maybe, when I've finished studying with Lyssandra, I could study with Homnibus and learn all about the origins of magical lore and the history of all the human and magical communities that live in and around our forest! And, once I learn all that, I can teach other Smurfs, and write books, and-"

"All right, all right, Professor Smurf, I get the picture," Papa Smurf said with a laugh. "That's a wonderful future career you've set out for yourself, Brainy. But, let's start off with the basics first. Lyssandra's been waiting to hear from me. I'll contact her right now and tell her you're ready to come back."

"Thank you, Papa Smurf!" Brainy said, too excited to stand still. "I'll pack my books. Oh, and I'll have to tell Clumsy I'm going, and all the other Smurfs… Oh, Papa Smurf, I…I don't think I've ever felt so much like…like me before! I think I'm going to like being a real, grown-up Smurf!"

Papa Smurf watched with a smile as Brainy ran out into the Village, crying, "I'm going back to Lyssandra! I'm going to be a wizard!"

Then, he took a seat in front of his looking glass and enacted the spell to contact Lyssandra.

"And how are you, my not-so-young Smurf?" the blind sorceress greeted without even having to ask who was calling.

Papa Smurf chuckled.

"Smurfy," he said. "Just smurfy. Has the wizard's council smurfed to a decision about that Simple Simon yet?"

"They've decided, and the sentence has been carried out," Lyssandra informed him. "And it's a very good thing. When we tracked him down, we found he had captured and transformed three young faeries the same way he'd captured and transformed your poor Smurfs – not to mention the unfortunate rabbits, ducks, and chickens he had enchanted. Luckily, the counterspell you, your Brainy, and I developed worked just as well on them, with a few modifications, and they are now home and free. But Simon has been stripped of all his magical abilities."

"What will happen to him now?" Papa Smurf asked.

"The irresponsible oaf decided to return home with Miranda Lott and take a job working at her father's inn," she said. "They'll both be all right. But this news was not the reason for your call. Have you reached a decision about your young Brainy?"

"I have," Papa Smurf told her. "I've decided to take your advice, Lyssandra. I'm letting him go, and I'll keep my arms open wide. The three of us can smurf a training course and schedule together, once he's back with you."

Lyssandra nodded.

"I'll look forward to working with you, as colleagues."

"As I will look forward to working with you, and with Brainy. When he's ready." He chuckled a little and shook his head. "His dreams are so different from mine, Lyssandra," he said. "But, at heart, I believe we both want the same things."

"You have done a fine job rearing your Village, Papa Smurf," Lyssandra said. "I've never been prouder to call you my friend."

"You are loved here, Lyssandra," Papa Smurf told her sincerely. "Don't ever forget that. Although you choose to live apart from the world, you will always be a part of our family."

The lonely elf started to respond, but choked a little and shook her head.

"What is it about you Smurfs?" she said, and smiled a warm, heartfelt smile. "Send our Brainy over whenever he's ready, Papa Smurf," she said. "I'll be here."

Her image faded from the glass. Papa Smurf stood up and strode outside, his eyes following the busy, happy bustle that was daily life in Smurf Village. Everywhere he looked, Smurfs were laughing, singing, working, playing. He spotted Clumsy and Brainy not far away, sitting together beneath a tree. Clumsy was telling his friend about his dream of one day building a beautiful rock garden for all the Smurfs to enjoy, while Brainy told him his dreams of someday building a vast library, and sharing the world's knowledge with the Smurf community.

"I have a smurfy feeling this Village is going to see a lot of changes in the next few hundred years." Papa Smurf smiled to himself. "What a future my little Smurfs will smurf for themselves! And, I can't wait to help them smurf it."

The Conclusion

That's it, everyone! The end of this story. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it! Thanks so much for reading!
[Cool]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Page:  1  2   Previous Page  Next Page  Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

WE HAVE MANY MORE PICTURES OF SMURFS THAN JUST THIS!
If you're looking for pictures of Smurfs, then what you see above is just the beginning of what we have to offer! BlueBuddies.com has thousands of Smurf pics and thousands of smurfy items of interest. To check out the whole gallery visit our main page - click here!
Sign-up for the Smurfs BBS and get a smurfy avatar like this beside your name - click here!
Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2020 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.