Smurf at Last!       Smurfs 2 Movie BLUE LIVES MATTER
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

» Smurf Forum » Nud Nicks & Grotesque Smurfs
Author Topic: Nud Nicks & Grotesque Smurfs
EmperorSmurf
Smurfling
Member # 2725

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 05:49 AM      Profile for EmperorSmurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hi,

I've recently bought quiet a few of these wierd looking smurfs, as an addition to my normal collection and would like to know if people know anything about these [Confused] . I've already gathered some few details about these but would like to know much more.
In the "Der schlumpf Katalog IV" you can see them on pages 302-305. However i think there excist more than these and a lot of varieties.

Natural Smurf
Smurf
Member # 2702

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 06:00 AM      Profile for Natural Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hello, Emperor Smurf! I might need to look at those weird funnies! [Sassette Smurfling] [Smurfette] [Vanity Smurf] [Enamored Smurf] [Angel Smurf]
Advertising Smurf
Smurfling
Member # 1385

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted on the 12th of Smurf 12:25 PM      Profile for Advertising Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Buy a Smurf DVD!

EmperorSmurf
Smurfling
Member # 2725

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 06:47 AM      Profile for EmperorSmurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I can try to uploade a couple of pictures. Though i can't promise that they are the best [Smile]
Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 07:11 AM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Welcome, EmperorSmurf! Are they from some kind of new collection? I'd also like to see what they are like.

--------------------
Keep on always smurfin'!!

Posts: 3695 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Jul 2008
EmperorSmurf
Smurfling
Member # 2725

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 07:17 AM      Profile for EmperorSmurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
No they are not new, and can often be identified as they are quiet roughly painted and produced, and some of them are quiet ugly [Big Grin]

I will try to upload some pictures

EmperorSmurf
Smurfling
Member # 2725

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 07:22 AM      Profile for EmperorSmurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Here are some pictures, i hope [Smile]

Click here for a larger Grotesque smurfs picture!

Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 07:22 AM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
You really have a quite large Smurf collection, EmperorSmurf! [King Smurf]

--------------------

EmperorSmurf
Smurfling
Member # 2725

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 07:24 AM      Profile for EmperorSmurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Some of them look like normal smurfs, however the are often rough on the edges, have a bad paint job or different colours and all are made of a hard plastic material
Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted 02-24-2009 08:04 AM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Go to http://bluebuddies.com/index.htm#gallery and enter the box FIGURINES & FAKES. You'll find several Smurf models of all kinds and trades - Schleich, McDonald's, OMO etc. [Scuba Smurf]

--------------------

EmperorSmurf
Smurfling
Member # 2725

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 08:22 AM      Profile for EmperorSmurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
If found most of them under "Knock-offs"
http://bluebuddies.com/Smurfs_Knock-Off_Smurfs.htm

However it would still be fun if someone knew a lot about them, why they were made, when they were made, ...

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 09:15 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Welcome EmperorSmurf!

Thank you for sharing your collection with us. I am also a fan of the "Grotesque Smurfs". These ugly smurfs seem to have many names: Grotesque Smurfs, Fake Smurfs, Knock-off Smurfs or even Plagiate Smurfs. Whatever you end up calling them, some are really funny looking!

I think that all "Fake" Smurfs fall into two categories: Knock-Offs or Fakes

1] Knock-Off Smurfs (Counterfeits) - Figures trying to pass themselves off as authentic Smurfs:

Knock-offs can be either a clone or a unique design.

• clones - these smurfs attempt to replicate an existing mold. ie. either a Schleich or Bully Smurf. There is an authentic ID # associated with the design, which the knock-off smurf attempts to duplicate. (For example, the 2.0089 Painter Smurf shown below)

• uniques - these smurfs have an original design (like the pirate smurf with the peg leg). These smurfs aren't attempting to duplicate a previous mold, but rather are creating a entirely new design.

Knock-offs can also be high-quality or low-quality.

• high-quality - typically rare expensive smurfs
      (ie. Praying Smurf, Praying Smurfette or #1 Grad Smurf)

• low-quality - poor painting, lumpy, bumpy seams, and harder plastic

2] Fake Smurfs - Figures which remind you of Smurfs.

Fake Smurfs came about because Smurfs were popular at the time and other companies thought they would try to get in on the action and re-create Peyo's success. Examples include the Gnome Family / Empire Figures and Nud-Nicks. Fake Smurfs look different from normal Smurf figures. They typically aren't blue and white but they share a lot of similarities (small, cute, elf-like, wear hats, have tails, little pants with boots attached).

A low-quality knock-off is easy to spot. You can tell it is a forgery because (like you said) the paint is poorly done, the plastic is harder than normal, and the markings are non-existant or blurry.

-
Authentic vs Knock-Off Painter Smurf - (poorly) trying to mimic an original Smurf

I think high-quality knock-offs were made purely for monetary gain. There are some great knock-offs of the Praying Smurf & Smurfette and #1 Grad Smurf. Unscrupulous people try to pass them off as authentic because they fetch such a high price. Also, think about some of the new Smurfs onthat come from China. For example, a set of 8 Halloween Smurfs currently sells for only $2.99! They don't appear to be authentic to me. Sometimes when a deal is too good to be true... it isn't true!

-
Real vs Fake #1 Grad

Other knock-offs take inspiration from authentic Smurfs. These Smurfs can have subtle differences (like the Brainy Smurf below - notice his pointing hand) or they can be entirely new designs (like the fake pirate Smurf with the wooden peg leg). Regardless, each is clearly trying to be a smurf!

-
Authentic vs Knock-Off Brainy Smurf

Fake Smurfs: Nud-Nicks came out in the early 1980s and the Gnome Family / Empire "Smurfs" have been around since the late 1970s. It makes sense that these knock-offs came out back in the 70s & 80s because that was when real Smurfs were ubiquitous. Whenever something is popular, there are bound to be fakes popping up.

I don't know how Empire avoided copyright issues with the Smurf creators! The only real difference between Empires and Smurfs are the varying colors and the pom-poms on their hats and toes. Empires were clearly heavily influenced by Smurfs!

-
Nud-Nicks

-
Gnome Family - aka Empire Smurfs

I guess I'm getting a bit carried away...

I think that some of these fake smurfs are so ugly that they end up being cute! (does that make any sense?) I actually think that the fake brainy smurf is very cute!!

Do you have any favorites? Have you been collecting Grotesque Smurfs long?

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts about fake smurfs!!!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I love playing Smurf Games!!!

Smurfy1For2
Smurf
Member # 1224

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 09:22 PM      Profile for Smurfy1For2       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
EmperorSmurf you have a LOT of Smurfs! They look fantastic all lined up like that.

Thanks for the cool info Sassette!! I have never seen the Nud-Nicks before. They are really cute. That Painter Smurf looks really funny LOL!!

--------------------
u wished u rocked as i

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-24-2009 09:50 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
There does seem to be a lot of variations with the knock-offs. You can kind of tell when they were made in a series (see below). There are definitely different styles.

-
Knock-Off Smurfs

-
Bad Knock-Off Smurfs!

[Gargamel]

PS - You're welcome Smurfy1For2. I agree that the Nud-Nicks are really cute! Did you know that Nud-Nicks were offered as prizes in coin machines - like a gumball machine. You put in your coin, twisted the dial and out came a surprise prize!

This is from a prize machine back in 1983...

-
Win a surprise Nud-Nicks Prize!
[Razz]

--------------------
I love playing Smurf Games!!!

EmperorSmurf
Smurfling
Member # 2725

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 02-25-2009 12:56 PM      Profile for EmperorSmurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Very nice posts Sassets.
I have had some few of these grotesque smurfs for quiet a while but only like 10-15. Recently i came across a large collection for sale which i couldn't resist buying and it contains some like 420. ofcourse there are many of the same. But i think it's like 40-50 different, some you can see on the pics.
I find them very very strange but somehow very interessting, thats one of the reasons why i've startede to invest their story. I've heard quiet different views about them. But certainly they are very different.

My favourite grotesque smurf has to be the gold angel. It's so beautiful and just something special.

Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted 02-25-2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Sassette, I see these Nud-Nicks for the first time. In spite of not being Smurfs, they're very sympathetic. And, thinking well, the Knock-Off Brainy is not such an ugly one... But poor bad Knock-off Smurfs, the people that made all them should be in a constant bad mood! Many thanks for showing, my friend!! [Sassette Smurfling]
Thanks also for showing your collection, EmperorSmurf, and you're right: the golden Smurf angel is charming. [King Smurf]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Current topic is 1 pages total: 1 Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

SMURF PICTURES, SMURF WALLPAPER & SMURF ICONS - AND MUCH MORE!
Searching for Smurf pictures? What about Smurf wallpaper or Smurf icons? You can view our menu of thousands of Smurf pics and check out all of our Smurfs merchandise on the main page - click here!
Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2016 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensors. Want to help make the site better? Then take our smurfy survey here!   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.