Smurf at Last!    Smurfs 2 Movie Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

Page:  1  2    Previous Page  Next Page 
» Smurf Forum » swearing baby smurf (Page 1)
Author Topic: swearing baby smurf
pistel
Smurfling
Member # 712

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 12-11-2004 06:53 PM      Profile for pistel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Good day all, i got my self one of those talking baby smurf doll that are said to swear. I have head people say that it do not swear, but i did try it and it does sound like it is saying how gives a ****. But if it is not saying that then can someone tell me what is it saying?
Thanks

Papa Smurf
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted 12-11-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Papa Smurf   Author's Homepage  Papa Smurf's Figurine Checklist  Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hi pistel,

Check this out:

http://bluebuddies.com/help/smurfs_rumors_and_speculation.htm#swearing_smurf

From what I recall, Baby's noises absolutely did not sound anything like expletives. That woman in ON, Canada (where Irwin was from) was either hard of hearing or perhaps very imaginative.

Baby Smurf doesn't swear - at least the dolls I have heard do not.

[Smile]

--------------------
Uploading Smurf pictures to our servers is EASY - show the world your smurfy find in a message!

Papa Smurf
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted 12-17-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Papa Smurf   Author's Homepage  Papa Smurf's Figurine Checklist  Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Here is the full newspaper article from way back in 1997. It seems this piece states that the doll says a slightly more vulgar expletive than the one I've seen reported elsewhere. Like all good urban legends, there are different accounts of Baby Smurf's exact swear words. Regardless, what a bad little Smurf!

[Wink]

HAMILTON JAN 8, 1997 - A Toronto toy company denies it's making swearing Smurfs or kinky Clever Cutie dolls.

"They're working perfectly - they're not swearing or cursing", says Irwin Toy public relations vice-president Scott Irwin, after the company received more complaints of their dolls using indecent language.

It started last week when a Brantford mother complained that a Baby Smurf doll she got for her daughter would say things like "Who gives a f***?"

Irwin says they have received three more complaints, one from Sarnia and the others from the Brantford area, about the smurf doll, and now Karin Guyatt, a Hamilton women says that a Clever Cutie doll, also made by Irwin, her daughter Kimberly Desjardins, 10, got for Christmas is saying bizarre things "It's definitely saying "I want to cut you" and "I like it when you cut me". Guyatt says.

The petite blonde doll, which comes with a hair dryer, brush and cell phone accessories which fit into an electronic socket on its hand, is capable of recognizing them and asking for them in a sing-song voice recorded by an actress in New York, according to Irwin, and then making the sound effects of a running dryer and a ringing phone when the appropriate object is placed in its hand. It also clearly says, in the same chirpy voice, "I want to cut you".

"If some people are hearing that, it's coincidence" says Irwin, who says the dolls really are saying innocuous messsages like "I want to hug you" and "I like it when you hug me". "All of the dolls are alike" Irwin says, who says no one at Irwin has found a doll which actually says anything else than what it has been programmed to say, and likens the problem to people who hear offensive lyrics on pop songs, and phone into radio stations to complain, and once disk jockeys tell the audience that there may be offensive lyrics, more people believe that they hear them. "It sounds like they're saying such and such, but in fact, the recording artists never said that", Irwin says.

"She really loves that doll" said Guyatt, who says her daughter is hearing impaired and did not notice the doll's odd speech. Guyatt only found out what the doll was saying after her nephew was playing with her daughter and heard it a few days ago.

Irwin says the Clever Cutie and Baby Smurf doll have a variety of messages recorded onto electronic chips that are all the same for either doll. Debbie Brown, a company spokesperson,says "We only use nonalterable RAM chips" that cannot be changed after they leave the factory.

"I'd like a new doll", said Kimberly. Irwin has said it will replace the toy.

[Smile]

--------------------
Uploading Smurf pictures to our servers is EASY - show the world your smurfy find in a message!

jokersmoker
Smurfling
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 03:02 PM      Profile for jokersmoker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Years ago I was working in radio and I read a news story in the Toronto Sun. It was about a woman in Brampton that bought her seven year old daughter a Talking Berry Lovin'! Baby Smurf and the toy taught the child a new four letter word. When i got off work I hurried to the nearest toy store and grabbed one.Immediately IRWIN TOY pulled them off the shelves.Now up to date:
I got this "crock" message from a dealer :
Hamilton, Ontario based Irwin Toys emphatically denies that Talking Berry Lovin'! Baby Smurf swears. BlueBuddies.com agrees, after personally investigating and determining the toy isn't cursing. Although one Canadian woman claims Baby says "who gives a (expletive)?", this cute little doll does not swear - period. This is simply a case of an overactive imagination, bad hearing, or both.”
Let's look at the REAL facts.
A) It was pulled off the shelves
B) It certainly isnt saying I'm Hungry like it was supposed too
C)Upon playing it for my broadcast friends and police,and retail sales people I have found that they too must have bad hearing,including an OPP officer who said"Someone is in a lot of trouble"
I will agree that in some you cannot hear the expletive but in mine you certainly can.
D) IRWIN toy was out of Toronto NOT Hamilton.
Finally I am very surprised at the cheap attempt of denial by BB on this,its something like Coca Cola NEVER admitting there was once Cocaine in thier drink.One thing is for sure this doll no matter what IS a Collectable,just on the noteriety alone.(Remember The Little Mermaid video cover??)
Jokersmoker

Smurfy1For2
Smurf
Member # 1224

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 03:37 PM      Profile for Smurfy1For2       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hey jokersmoker upload a recording and put it up here I can't wait to hear it!!

--------------------
u wished u rocked as i

jokersmoker
Smurfling
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 04:53 PM      Profile for jokersmoker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I will be happy to if it is allowed. I am glad that you posted the story you were basing your investigation on. It appears to be from an Irwin PR guy covering his blue butt.No matter,toy was pulled and the rest is history.
pudgy
Smurf
Member # 1241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 05:08 PM      Profile for pudgy       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Ffffffft... okay

HAD to comment on this.

It was never pulled off the shevles except in small numbers. It was sold all across Canada for almost 2 years after the incident, including a $5.00 "blow out" price near the end. The box was quite big and was very visible in whatever store isle it was in.

Regarding swearing, Irwin said, "If some people are hearing that, it's coincidence". THE DOLL DOESN'T SWEAR. The spokesperson couldn't say what he/she really wanted to say...that these people hearing things are bats**t insane.

Finally, regarding the police and the OPP officer: I'm glad the Toy Police are on the case. I can get G.I. Joe and Darth Vader to help bring Baby Smurf down to the station if there is any trouble.

Still... I can't wait to hear the upload.

Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 06:20 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
 -
Talking Baby Smurf

My Berry Lovin' Baby Smurf doesn't swear or say anything naughty. Heehee, my baby seems to be well behaved, except for being a little messy eater!
[Angel Smurf]

I am curious to hear what the swearing Baby Smurf says...

--------------------
I love everything about Smurfs: The Lost Village Movie!!!

GreenDay Smurfs
Super Smurf
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 06:41 PM      Profile for GreenDay Smurfs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Well first off, when i started looking at this website before i joined, i looked at the rumors because i was doing a speech on the smurfs, anyways i thought that was funny so did my friends. i don't have a baby smurf doll, but i think people are just saying things so that people can sew the company, it's just like people asking "Are smurfs communists?" or "Is smurfette a sexist?" It's just people and their own life and reality.
jokersmoker
Smurfling
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 07:40 PM      Profile for jokersmoker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Pudgy you dont have one do you? You start listening to company PRs you'll start believing reality shows. This doll(mine) swears. Everybody agrees PERIOD! I really cant upload the wav file as I've been told this is a family site.You may be correct that they were around AFTER these were removed and then replaced.Be nice and I might put it on Youtube.
pudgy
Smurf
Member # 1241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 08:18 PM      Profile for pudgy       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I own both the US and Canadian dolls. Both don't swear.

So that means that somehow, somewhere, special versions of the ROM or Flash RAM had to be created undercover. How many do you think actually exist?

What, seriously, are the odds of some secret subterfuge in the Chinese factory, men skulking around quietly reprogramming a tiny batch of the ROM chips to contain obscenities?

Let's look at this another way. All the collectors on this site have the non-swearing Baby Smurf dolls.

The only person who claims that a swearing Baby Smurf doll actually exists is you.

So prove it... provide us the youtube link. We're all looking forward to seeing and hearing it.

jokersmoker
Smurfling
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 03-23-2010 08:49 PM      Profile for jokersmoker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
You got it buddy.The price will reflect that. Do me a favor. Go to the Toronto Sun (or I will)
and get a backcopy of the original story from Brampton.Final facts. You say none swear, I say mine does,does yours say "I'm hungry??,mine doesnt.You say they have no value,I say mine does.If you're right I'm bats,if I'm right I'm Batman!

jokersmoker
Smurfling
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 03-24-2010 03:43 PM      Profile for jokersmoker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
This is dedicated to IRWIN PR guys everywhere!

And to my good friend Pudgy,by the way the price is now $5000

Mike on camcorder is a little shoddy. Still think it's saying I'm Hungry? NOT!

Swearing Baby Smurf - Warning Adult Language

Swearing Baby Smurf - Warning Adult Language

pudgy
Smurf
Member # 1241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 03-24-2010 06:28 PM      Profile for pudgy       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hi again, jokersmoker ... or should we all call you by your new name, BATMAN!

Alright Batman, smurf hats off to you for posting the video. It was fun to hear Baby Smurf and I liked the video.

Unfortunately, I do not hear it do any cursing. It sounds exactly like both of my dolls.

It's just "baby talk"... smurfy jibber-jabber. I mean, you can kind of convince yourself it's saying, "who gives a f***", but it's not. It's just baby talk. It could just as easily be saying, "snug as a bug".

Good luck with your sale... and long-live the swearing smurf myth!

GreenDay Smurfs
Super Smurf
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-24-2010 06:48 PM      Profile for GreenDay Smurfs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
it kinda sounds like it's saying etheir "Snug as a bug" as pudgy refered or " jitter bug" or something. but why sell a toy that swears for kids. it just gives a bad rep. on smurfs.
Mariana MerSmurf
Smurf
Member # 2633

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-24-2010 10:09 PM      Profile for Mariana MerSmurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I think its kind of like how we mishear lyrics in songs, our ears can trick us when something doesn't sound completely clear.

--------------------
Mariana Kimberly Genevieve "Mer Smurf" Paletta
Visit me at
http://web.me.com/marianapaletta

Posts: 95 | From: In the Good ol' USA! | Registered: Dec 2008
Raven Child
Member # 795

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-25-2010 12:17 PM      Profile for Raven Child   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
To me he sounds like he's saying something in french. Not enough to have it sound anything in English.

--------------------
"The Raven Child" website: http://www.theravenchild.com/

"Tales of Mytherwrel" facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TalesOfMytherwrel

Smurfy1For2
Smurf
Member # 1224

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-25-2010 07:03 PM      Profile for Smurfy1For2       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Here is another article about the Swearing Baby Smurf, from 1997.

The Hamilton Spectator
by Adrian Humphreys
January 8, 1997

-
Cursing Smurf no joking matter to mother

Does it or doesn't it? This Berry Lovin' Smurf swears, says Stoney Creek's April Wood, who bought it for daughter Aleksandra. (Scott Gardner, The Spectator)

STONEY CREEK -- What parent wants their child playing with a plush, stuffed, Masochistic Sadie or Lots o' Swearin' Smurf? A recent rash of trash-talkin' toys that some people say are blurting out offensive statements is a public-relations nightmare toymakers can do without. But what's behind the blue-faced Smurf toy that two families insist swears a blue streak, and the sweet-faced Clever Cutie doll that seems to say, "I like it when you cut me"?

Are these good dolls gone bad?

April Wood of Stoney Creek bought a $40 Berry Lovin' Smurf. Her aunt thought she heard the doll swear, but dismissed it until she heard of a similar complaint in Brantford. "When she played it for me the f-word is quite clear. You can't mistake what it's saying", said Ms. Wood. "It may be a joke until you hear a little kid with that coming out of her mouth. My daughter is going to hear it enough in her life, but to hear it coming from a toy is too much", she said of six-month-old Aleksandra.

A spokesman for Irwin Toy Ltd., which makes both dolls, dismisses the claims. "There is nothing wrong with the technology in these dolls -- it's been used for years", said Scott Irwin, senior vice-president.

"We've had three complaints out of thousands and thousands of dolls that have been shipped." The dolls are just being "misheard" and he blames new complaints on the power of suggestion from the media. "There are only 26 letters in the alphabet and there are lots of words that sound like others. What we recorded on the dolls are not swear words or anything offensive", he said.

The Smurf is designed to make three sounds: It says "I'm hungry", it giggles, and it says meaningless baby talk. But the baby talk is garbled, with the last word starting with and F and ending with a hard C sound.

"It's like looking at clouds. One might say `doesn't that cloud look like an elephant? ... Look, there's the elephant's trunk, there's the tail.' But does that make the cloud an elephant? No," said Mr. Irwin.

The process for making talking dolls is simple. A team thinks up a new doll, comes up with appropriate phrases for it to "speak", and then reviews the statements to ensure they are not offensive, said Mr. Irwin. The company records an actor reading the lines in a studio. Music or sound effects may be added. The sound is then mass produced onto silicon microchips which become part of a small circuit board inserted into each toy.

The technology is simple and has been used extensively for a decade in many consumer products, says Dr. David Jones, a computer science professor at McMaster University. When the actor's recorded messages are converted to digital data, it is stored in the language of machines -- strings of zeros and ones. This data is then stored on microchips, the same kind of chips that run computers. Powered by small batteries, the sound is activated by a movement -- such as rubbing the toy's belly or squeezing its hand. Dr. Jones said some chips could have a technical glitch which muddles or snips what is recorded onto them. For instance the phrase "I like it when you cuddle me", could sound like "I like it when you cut me", if the last syllable of "cuddle was snipped. Or a "doll hacker" could replace the doll's recorded mechanism either in the factory or in the store. A similar microchip from a cheap greeting card that allows the consumer to record a personal greeting could be switched with the factory-programmed version, he said.

--------------------
u wished u rocked as i

Squeaky Smurf
Hering Smurf
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-27-2010 04:51 PM      Profile for Squeaky Smurf   Author's Homepage  Squeaky Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I WANT ONE, NO MATTER WHAT HE SAYS!! [Enamored Smurf]
Just kidding!! [Big Grin]
Talking seriously now, I've listened several times to what the doll said and it sounded to me: "I think you're a bug"; not "I'm hungry", but none of the reported expletive too. As Mariana said properly, sometimes our ears can play tricks on us. [Confused]

--------------------
Keep on always smurfin'!!

Posts: 3915 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Jul 2008
joker 2
Smurfling
Member # 3189

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 04-22-2010 10:19 AM      Profile for joker 2       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hurray Hurray Hurray Step right up and see the Swearing Smurf!

He laughs,He cries,He swears!

F-Bomb Smurf - Warning Adult Language

F-Bomb Smurf 2 - Warning Adult Language

They say he doesnt exist
Irwin toy NEVER made one!
Can you believe your eyes? Or ears?
Tell your friends

pudgy
Smurf
Member # 1241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted 05-01-2010 02:10 PM      Profile for pudgy       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
There are actually two versions of the "Swearing" Baby Smurf Doll. Both versions "swear" (if you have a dirty mind that is). Both of the dolls say three things.

Version 1:

1) Giggles
2) I'm Hungry
3) "Swearing"

Version 2:

1) Giggles
2) Crying
3) "Swearing"

joker 2 / jokersmoker has the second version.

Here is a video of the first version that says "I'm hungry":

Talking Baby Smurf Version 1 - "I'm Hungry"

POPE SMURF
Smurf
Member # 3263

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 08-09-2010 11:56 PM      Profile for POPE SMURF       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
WOW !!!!! Different people do hear different things if all the baby smurfs say the same thing at the end. I would like to believe that our Bluebuddies are so much more innocent than all this.

--------------------
MAY YOU HAVE A MAGNIFICENTLY SMURFY DAY !!!

Shaney Smurf
Super Smurf
Member # 1345

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 08-10-2010 11:13 PM      Profile for Shaney Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
After listening to the audio examples above, I am totally NOT convinced that the doll is saying any swear words. It only sounds like it because that is what some of you are expecting because of the hype. It's just like what happened with some of those Disney "hidden messages". Turned out to be myths. I don't think the words from that doll sounds anything like the swear word mentioned.
GreenDay Smurfs
Super Smurf
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 08-11-2010 10:21 AM      Profile for GreenDay Smurfs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Thats true Shane!!! I think that we've all heard so many rumors about the baby smurf swearing that when it comes to listening to it we're all like 'is he gunna swear?' i dont think the company would even consider on making a toy that swears because they dont want complaints.
MissCassidy
Super Smurf
Member # 3409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-27-2012 03:58 PM      Profile for MissCassidy   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Maybe, but the recording is pretty bad... :/

--------------------
Rise Avalon!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Page:  1  2   Previous Page  Next Page  Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2017 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.