Smurf at Last!                         Smurfs 2 Movie Smurfs - The Lost Village
home | BUY SMURFS | FIGURINES | SMURF FACTS | FUN | SMURF FORUM
Smurfs DVD  McDonald's Smurfs  Fan Art  Smurf Song  Smurfs Character Names  Cartoon Episode Guide
What is your Smurf Nickname?  Promo Smurf Figurines  Make a Smurf Costume  Smurfette  Send a Smurf Greeting Card
Smurfs Collector Bulletin Board System Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
search | my profile search | login | register | smurf community | faq | upload manager |
smurf forum | off-topic forum | role play forum

Page:  1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19    Previous Page  Next Page 
» Smurf Forum » Smurfs DVD news! (Page 12)
Author Topic: Smurfs DVD news!
Rocker Smurf
Smurf
Member # 3178

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 10-21-2010 07:04 PM      Profile for Rocker Smurf  Rocker Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDay Smurfs:
so when you buy season 2 is it the whole thing and is it just in England or is it everywhere?

It's not the "whole" Season 2, as all the Johan and Peewit episodes are missing (although they generally weren't that good anyway). But it is the most complete Season 2 collection available, and it is only available in England. The rights to the show are owned by a different company in the UK than in the USA or anywhere else.

--------------------
Smurf yourself a smile and have a smurfy day!

Posts: 217 | From: Smurfy old England | Registered: Apr 2010
GreenDay Smurfs
Super Smurf
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 10-21-2010 07:17 PM      Profile for GreenDay Smurfs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
oh ok thanks i dont really like how things come out before things in other countries
Rocker Smurf
Smurf
Member # 3178

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 10-23-2010 02:36 PM      Profile for Rocker Smurf  Rocker Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Finally, here are my reviews:

"The Smurfs: Season Two"

So here we are again with the Smurfs for their second season, and if you thought the UK edition of Season 1 put the USA DVD editions to shame, this set certainly does the same thing. I watched the set in comparison with my Region 1 DVD “The Smurfs: Smurfy Tales”. As we all know, the Season 2 release schedule in the US was a complete mess and a huge travesty. They only reached three separate DVDs, each containing only five episodes each, none of which had been remastered. If UK consumers are concerned that the same thing has happened here, worry not. Almost all the episodes here have remastered picture and sound quality, leaving only a few specks that probably come as a result of animation error. The only episode that doesn't seem to have had as much treatment is “The Lost City of Yore”. The transfer for this episode is extremely inconsistent and messy, while some scenes look really good, others look awful, with picture and colours looking very washed out and dull. It doesn't look as bad as it did on the Smurfy Tales DVD, but it didn't look good either. I'm guessing this is probably the way the episode has always looked, which is a bit disappointing. However, the rest of the series looks excellent, picture and sound are restored but nothing has been changed or altered. Any animation errors that have been there since the 80s remain.

As with Season 1, the episodes are also fully uncut, and some of them really benefit from having those scenes restored. One clear example is the episode Squeaky, there is one scene which was cut out of the syndicated version, and it shows a potential and probable cause for Squeaky's death, rather than have it happen somewhat randomly overnight. The only possible downside to the set is that it isn't the “complete” Season 2, as while it contains every Smurfs episode, it leaves out all the Johan and Peewit episodes. I personally never thought they were that good, so it isn't a major loss for me, though it might be for some other people. The other disappointment is the “inclusion” of bonus features. It's as if someone put Lazy Smurf in charge of compiling them, as they are exactly the same as the extras on the Season 1 DVD. For me though, The Smurfs isn't something I'd be expecting a lot of extras for, just the episodes do very nicely.

Overall this is another top notch, smurferiffic box set, which proves that there are remastered prints of the Season 2 episodes out there. Stand out episodes here include Squeaky, one of the show's most sweet and touching, The Adventures of Robin Smurf, a wonderfully imaginative version of the Robin Hood story, and the two special seasonal episodes: My Smurfy Valentine (set at Valentine's Day), and The Smurfs Christmas Special (where goodness makes the badness go away). I just hope it sells well enough that Fabulous Films continue to release the series on DVD quickly, and particularly because Season 3 had some of the best episodes ever made. The third season includes Handy's Sweetheart, in which Handy meets Marina, and soon afterwards the two fall deeply in love with each other. And who could forget Once in a Blue Moon, where we saw Baby Smurf for the first time? It was one of the most adorable episodes in the show's history. So if you are a fan of this show, or want to revisit fond memories, or want to introduce the Smurfs to someone less familiar with it, buy this to go with the Season 1 set, you will not regret it.

"The Smurfs and the Magic Flute"

Watching this for the first time after seeing most episodes of the cartoon, it took me two viewings to really get into it. Having loved the Smurfs since childhood, the season 1 and 2 box sets have really brought back some wonderful memories, and on first viewing, I was a little disappointed with this film. It's definitely not bad, it's very good entertainment, fun and musical, however there are several differences to the Smurfs TV show. The film was released in 1976, five years before the Saturday morning cartoon started, and was also made with no involvement from Hanna-Barbera. Therefore the animation style is different, the voices are not the same, and even some of the names have been changed. In the UK version, which is the one featured on the Blu-ray (the same as the one on the 1985 VHS), the characters Johan and Peewit are named John and William, Grouchy Smurf is named Grumpy, and Hefty is called Strong-Man Smurf here. There's also no Gargamel or Smurfette to be found here. It's a film that is certainly closer to the original Smurfs comics from the 50's, so depending on whether someone might have grown up with a preference either for the comics or for the show, it is still great for Smurfs fans, but some of them might find it disappointing.

Onto the Blu-ray quality, and this, to my knowledge, is the first time that independent studio Fabulous Films has released any title on the format. So how is it? To my great surprise, it's a very impressive transfer. Yes, it was never going to be the same level of high quality as something like Avatar, but it's still good. The colours are bright and tones of the picture well balanced, a little softness suits it perfectly, making the brightness sharp would've ruined it, I think. The audio is generally clear as well, however one of my biggest problems was with the song where William tries to talk in Smurf language. The characters sing so quickly that it can be very hard to understand what they are saying. While I thought this added humourous value to the scene, I think some others might be annoyed by it. And like the Smurfs DVD releases, there are no subtitles whatsoever. It's great that Arrow Films and Fabulous Films are bringing these characters back to home video in the UK, but on future season releases, they really need to add subtitles to the discs. There's also not a lot in the way of bonus features, and nothing to watch, just a few things to look at or read on the screen.

All in all this is a very good transfer for an entertaining film that not all Smurfs fans will enjoy, but all should check out sometime, if just to see where it all began.

--------------------
Smurf yourself a smile and have a smurfy day!

Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 10-24-2010 08:12 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I got my own the smurfs and the magic flute DVD ripped to my PS3!
(Different version)
A rare one that my cousin bought for me from amazon.com
It's from televista they said it released in 2008.
Now it had been discontinued so i was very lucky to have it!
One of the last copy i guessed!
I played it on my PS3 with 1080P upscaled and it very good looked much
sharper but not as much as Blu-ray for sure because this one is not remaster
aging footage is all over the place and sometimes screen is about to crash.
But still exceptionally consistent overall.
I'll upload the whole movie on youtube a day or two from now...
And I'll be waiting your comment,rocker smurf!
Talking won't do much good of how it looks though...

--------------------
I'm Brainy Smurf's alter ego one that didn't wearing glasses...for now...
"Eyesight 200/20 but I always see what's on my mind"

Posts: 694 | From: Bangkok,Thailand | Registered: May 2009
Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 10-25-2010 10:37 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Excellent Review! Very thorough and interesting.
[Happy Smurf]

--------------------
I love everything about Smurfs: The Lost Village Movie!!!

Smurfy1For2
Smurf
Member # 1224

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 10-27-2010 04:49 AM      Profile for Smurfy1For2       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Those are awesome reviews Rocker Smurf. I've never been too sure about a movie with so much Johan and Peewit in it but I bet it looks amazing in Blu Ray even if the animation is all different than normal.

It's GREAT to find out that they remastered Season 2 I hope they release them like that over here too. Thanks for sharing and let us know if you find any easter eggs!!

--------------------
u wished u rocked as i

Amtrak Smurf
Super Smurf
Member # 1658

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 01-15-2011 09:49 AM      Profile for Amtrak Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
There had been no releases of the Smurfs last year. I wonder what's going on with Warner Bros.. And I don't know about this year, cause I'm not sure if there will be any DVD releases. [Frown]

--------------------
The destination of this train is: Smurf Village

Posts: 600 | From: Milton, MA/Chile | Registered: Apr 2007
Debbie
Smurf
Member # 2688

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 03-31-2011 11:44 PM      Profile for Debbie   Author's Homepage  Debbie's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Warner Home Video has announced that The Smurfs - Volume 4: A Magical Smurf Adventure, a new two-disc collection, will be available on DVD in the USA this July 19th:

The fans of the Hanna-Barbera produced animated classic Smurfs series are many, but here in North America the DVD sales often skews toward a very young crowd. In 2008, Warner Home Video released the first season of the show on a pair of 2-disc sets, split into Season 1, Volume 1 and Season 1, Volume 2. Soon after, however, the full impact of the economic downturn came along, and Warner saw that videos of kidvid such as the delightful short blue guys became much more popular as "budget-priced" single-disc releases, that could easily be bought by casual fans as impulse items found somewhere near the cash register.

So instead of Warner putting out complete season sets (like Fabulous Films made available in the UK, and which we should note will NOT work in standard off-the-shelf players bought in North America), during 2009 the USA and Canada got 3 single-DVD "volumes" of episodes, all culled from the show'ss 2nd Season (in themed groupings, rather than in order). Those 3 titles contain 5 cartoons each, meaning that 15 Smurfs shorts out of the second season's 46 total (I think that's the right number) are all that have been available in North America so far.

Today Warner Home Video has announced that The Smurfs - Volume 4: A Magical Smurf Adventure, a new single-disc collection of 5 cartoons, will be available on DVD this July 19th (the timing on this is meant to tie in with the cinematic debut of Sony's new CGI Smurfs film, which sports an all-star cast). Another themed group of stories, these are again all from the 2nd Season, but are all new-to-DVD for North America. Cost, like the previous single-disc Smurfs volumes, is expected to be $14.98 SRP. Package art isn't available yet, nor any other details (such as audio or video specs). However, we do have a list of the contents for you, copied and pasted here from the info Warner has provided:
  • Smurf Van Winkle - Lazy is tricked by the other Smurfs into believing he has slept his life away.
  • Revenge Of The Smurfs - A bunch of disgruntled Smurfs try to get even with a human army that has rampaged the village.
  • Magic Fountain - Johan, Peewit, and the Smurfs search for the magic fountain to energize an enslaved people.
  • Smurf Me No Flowers - Lazy is led to believe that he has only a few days left to live, encouraging him to do some physical feats he hasn't thought of doing before.
  • The Cursed Country - The Smurfs find a way to douse the flames of a fire-breathing dragon being used by an evil master to capture slaves for his diamond mine.

UPDATE: Wow, don't we feel silly! It seems like Warner might have pulled an early April Fools' joke on us, because we waited as long in the day as possible to post this news about The Smurfs - A Magical Smurf Adventure, in the hopes that we would get package art to accompany the provided info. Well, that artwork arrived not long after we finally went ahead and posted what we had...and the e-announcement which contained that box art showed that the info we had just passed along to you was all wrong!

As you can see from the e-announcement graphic below, this is actually going to be a 2-DVD set with 10 cartoons, for $19.97 SRP. Besides the 183 minutes of featured content, there will also be bonus Extras called "Smurf Speak" and "Smurftastic Moments". Full specs aren't mentioned in this document, but we do note that the "English SDH" (subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) logo is present. No list of included cartoons is provided, and since the count (10 instead of 5) is different than our earlier studio-provided info, we're not certain any more if the above list has any accuracy or not (or whether they will all be second-season installments, either). Stay tuned, though, and we'll update you further as things get cleared up. We regret the confusion, of course!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Smurfs-Magical-Smurf-Adventure/15193

--------------------
http://www.fluffyandmervin.com

Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-01-2011 04:24 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Thanks Debbie!
It's about time and they learn their lessons.
Smurfs are back on DVD!

--------------------

Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-01-2011 04:28 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
For you guys convenient here's the picture! [Big Grin]
 -

--------------------

VicyJoe
Smurf
Member # 3538

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-01-2011 02:25 PM      Profile for VicyJoe       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
This is not an April Fools' joke, right?
BlueTiger10
Super Smurfette / Reporter Smurfette
Member # 3411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-01-2011 02:39 PM      Profile for BlueTiger10   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I guess not, Onesimos. And, it's no laughing matter.

--------------------
http://www.Twitter.com/HubermanProject

Posts: 947 | From: City Island, Bronx, NY USA | Registered: Nov 2010
Sassette
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-03-2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Sassette   Author's Homepage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Great news, Debbie & Brainy!!! Thanks for sharing!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I love everything about Smurfs: The Lost Village Movie!!!

Amtrak Smurf
Super Smurf
Member # 1658

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-03-2011 08:59 PM      Profile for Amtrak Smurf       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Well, it's about time! [Smile] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The destination of this train is: Smurf Village

Posts: 600 | From: Milton, MA/Chile | Registered: Apr 2007
VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-04-2011 07:19 AM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
It still reeks of MILK!!!

--------------------
VIC GEORGE -- Westfield, MA, USA
"Cat and mouse games really aren't much fun for us mouse types" -- Empath from "Empath The Bandit Smurf"

BlueTiger10
Member # 3411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-04-2011 08:49 AM      Profile for BlueTiger10   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
I don't smell milk.

--------------------

Smurfnut
Smurfling
Member # 3596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-28-2011 12:48 AM      Profile for Smurfnut       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Just noticed the below on wikipedia. Looks exciting!

Magna Home Entertainment is to release the first of two 'Ultimate Collections' on September 14, 2011. Each of the hard-cover book collections will be limited in numbers and exclusive to Australia and New Zealand. The first book will contain Seasons 1-5 and 8 episodes from the Johan & Peewit series, with the book pages containing smurfs information, character profiles and more. The second book will contain Seasons 6-9 and a further 8 episodes from Johan & Peewit series. Release date is yet to be advised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smurfs

BlueTiger10
Member # 3411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-28-2011 06:23 AM      Profile for BlueTiger10   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Hooo-wee! Dad-gum! Brand new DVD's of all seasons! I gotta have 'em all!

--------------------

VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-28-2011 06:31 AM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Milk in that context is trying to get more money from people, usually by delivering less.

--------------------
"Cat and mouse games really aren't much fun for us mouse types" -- Empath from "Empath The Bandit Smurf"

Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-28-2011 09:03 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
Well,of what the magna ent. trying to do WB release
is just simply milk things down and really not
very value but you got all the seasons from
magna' ultimate collection.

--------------------

VicyJoe
Smurf
Member # 3538

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-29-2011 01:35 AM      Profile for VicyJoe       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
quote:
Originally posted by VicGeorge2010:
Milk in that context is trying to get more money from people, usually by delivering less.

At least it shows that the Smurfs are not Communists.
VicGeorge2010
Super Smurf
Member # 300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-29-2011 04:28 AM      Profile for VicGeorge2010   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
quote:
Originally posted by VicGeorge2010:

quote:
Originally posted by Onesimos:
At least it shows that the Smurfs are not Communists.

No, it just shows that Warner Bros. are becoming greedy buggers.

--------------------

Oakley Smurf
Brainy Smurf Snaeha
Member # 2823

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 04-29-2011 07:38 AM      Profile for Oakley Smurf   Author's Homepage       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
They just don't want to cut the cheese they simply
wanted us to have less content so they can make
endless volumes of DVDs to make money.
More profit than make the whole series in one
big boxset and they can no longer release another.
My comment is a bit harsh but i just had enough...
Sorry if i take this too serious...

--------------------

Debbie
Smurf
Member # 2688

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-05-2011 01:01 PM      Profile for Debbie   Author's Homepage  Debbie's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/37448/pr-the-smurfs-a-magical-smurf-adventure-on-dvd-july-19-2011
This press release tells which episodes are on the upcoming 2-disc set.

"10 “Smurftastic” Featured Episodes Include:

Smurf Van Winkle – Lazy is tricked into believing he’s slept his life away.

Revenge of the Smurfs – The Smurfs try to get even with an army that’s stormed their village.

Magic Fountain – The Smurfs search for a magic fountain.

Smurf Me No Flowers – Lazy is led to believe he has only a few days to live.

The Cursed Country – An evil master captures Smurfs to work in his diamond mine.

The Blue Plague - Brainy gives the Smurfs a meal that makes them feel like chickens.

The Ring of Castellac – The Smurfs return a drugged duke to his rightful place.

A Mere Truffle – Tracker loses his memory while leading the Smurfs on a truffle hunt.

Gormandizing Greedy – Greedy gains weight after a diet of sweets and desserts.

Sister Smurf – Smurfette and a young girl are held captive by an old hag."

I'm glad that WB isn't cutting corners by just breaking up the previous season sets into smaller sets like they've done with Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes releases.

--------------------
http://www.fluffyandmervin.com

Rocker Smurf
Smurf
Member # 3178

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted 05-05-2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Rocker Smurf  Rocker Smurf's Figurine Checklist      Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  Post A Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Smurfnut:
Just noticed the below on wikipedia. Looks exciting!

Magna Home Entertainment is to release the first of two 'Ultimate Collections' on September 14, 2011. Each of the hard-cover book collections will be limited in numbers and exclusive to Australia and New Zealand. The first book will contain Seasons 1-5 and 8 episodes from the Johan & Peewit series, with the book pages containing smurfs information, character profiles and more. The second book will contain Seasons 6-9 and a further 8 episodes from Johan & Peewit series. Release date is yet to be advised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smurfs

I want to believe that, but I can't until I see it appear on Magna's official website or somewhere puts it up for pre-order. I have now had two Season 1 DVD sets become defective by growing some strange kind of sticky residue on Discs 1 and 4, yet bizarrely my Season 2 set is fine. Also every time I have tried to contact Fabulous Films to ask why this has happened, or ask whether any further seasons are coming out in the UK, they just ignore me. If this Season 1-5 box set proves to be genuine, I'll get that instead.
Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Smurf Picture & File Upload

Email Notification: email me when someone replies.

Page:  1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19   Previous Page  Next Page  Printer Version < Previous Topic   Next Topic >

Smurf Search!
BLUEBUDDIES SEARCH
Message Board Search
Advanced Search
Help / Search Tips

BLUEBUDDIES.COM: THE WORLD'S LARGEST SMURF COMPENDIUM
Copyright © 1995-2019 BlueBuddies.com. Privacy Policy: We respect your privacy. Please read our full privacy statement here. Site usage implies acceptance of our Terms & Conditions. Smurf is copyright Peyo. BlueBuddies.com is a Smurf resource neither sponsored nor endorsed by Peyo or its licensees.   Subscribe to our RSS FeedSubscribe to the BlueBuddies RSS Feed.